Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sterio relocation....anyone wanna write up?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by original balzer, Feb 18, 2006.

1. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

so i relocate the sterio to the center of the dash both for looks and function ( its easier to get to there) it can bee seen here http://www.cardomain.com/ride/827051/2 now i have this suburban im going to do it again but this time im keeping the A/C so my question is does anyone want me to write it up with pics?

balzer

2. Jumbo

Jumbo Newbie

I've seen a few guys with A/C locate the stereo above the center vent. Looks pretty good, I might put my CB there or the stereo and put the CB in the stock stereo position.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Hows it easier . You have to reach over farther to reach it .

I have my remote on the partition between the cupholders of my console , perfect fit . I just lay my hand down and control the unit . I only need to touch the radio to swap mp3 discs :thumb:

4. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

Got any pics?

5. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Relocating the head unit up two slots, above the Heat & AC controls, makes some sense for increasing ease of use and readability, although you'd have to move the AC vent or lose a lot of driver cooling, and that could turn into a fair amount of work. In a non-AC truck, this would be a great idea, and fairly easy.

Moving the head unit to the right would mainly make it easier for the passenger to see and fiddle with the stereo, which is not a positive thing at all in my book.

The driver is McGarrett, and runs the show. The "shotgun" passenger might be Danno, running the show only when McGarrett is out of town, but when the driver is in, all passengers (including the "shotgun" seat) are Chin Ho - they don't run squat, not even when Steve has been kidnapped by Wo Fat.

On a related note, that middle location looks like a great place for a center channel speaker.

6. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

I thought of doing something like that so that I could put in a DVD player with screen. Then I put on a lift, and it seemed a little unnessecary. :D Good idea though.

Al

7. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i just moved my radeo and cb into a custom center over head console i build, droped the heater controls down to the radio location.

will have all pics and write up when i am finished.

8. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

i put a amp behind the seat, 2 6x9's in door, and 2 6x9's in boxes behind seat. No deck just a ipod straight to the amp. Ipod located on benchseat. I dont like to advertise stereo equipment. Made a cool switch panel in its place. I like the factory cubby hole above the heater controls where the vent would be for AC, very handy.

9. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I have my stereo in my Tuffy Center Console:D . I have cut out the stock radio location to mount my CB radio. I just need to make a standoff bracket to mount the CB to and a cover for the front to make it look nice. I also installed a speaker in the center speaker location for the CB radio since the CB is inside the dash.

Ira

10. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I put my CB there, and used two 3.5" (4 Ohm speakers, wired in series for the required 8 Ohm load for the CB EXT SPKR) in the factory center location.

I had to modify the dash vent a little for the coax to fit in place. Otherwise the CB would have stuck out of the dash by about 1.5".

[​IMG]

11. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

yes.

12. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

although it seams farther away its actualy easier to get to, change cds, and actualy see without sticking your head between your legs. second its easier to get to from either side of the truck (tailgate parties) and yes the pass can reach and use it as well, like when the pass is reading the map or is the only person that knows where your going he dont have to yell or tap you on the shoulder he can just turn it down and talk. its not the best idea for everyone i guess but ill do the write up anyway because i did get at least one yes. it may be a week or so though as i work alot

balzer

13. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

you can email it to me and then we can be the yes club and make everyone else jealous. then maybe we can start ck5 junior and get 31,000 members.

14. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

my cd deck is inside my center console, my cb has been stolen from my truck but not the cd deck, id reccomend it if you even plan on going to a populated area without doors or a roof