Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sterio Wiring

Discussion in 'Audio' started by AintNoEconoCar, Oct 3, 2001.

1. AintNoEconoCar

AintNoEconoCar Registered Member

Hi, i just got my hands on a k-5, oh i like this beast.. but shes got no tunes! The orginal radio looks to be littleraly ripped out, and theres just a few spliced wires in there. Can anyone help me with some sterio ideas?

I dont know a whole lot about wiring but enough to get buy. Its a 77 Blazer with the seperate knobs to the side set up (shaft radio?). Most of interior has been ripped out so i dont know where the speakers where. I have a sony cassette deck id like to use rather than dish out the cash to buy an after market in dash system.

so, what wires go where (color codes, ect..acces, antenna, battery, ground)? How amny should there be? It didnt come with an antenna, what to do about that? its a 4 speaker system, i have 2 surface mounts for the back but whats a good idea for the other 2? sterio mounting? and what ever else that might help.

Thanks!

p.s.: if anyone has any interior/exterior parts they want to get rid of, or sell.. contact me! (rocker chrome, drivers seat, seat belts, tripod mirriors, sliding side windows, chrome handles..anything else) i also need an evaporator core and hoses as well as hood hinges and a drivers side window assy.(the part that makes it go up and down inside the door, no, i dont have the vocab down (: )

Dont sweat the petty things,
    dont pet the sweaty things.

2. Chewy

Chewy 1/2 ton status

Here's what I had to do:

-Saw a hole big enough in the dash to install the new cassette deck. Make sure you remove the any plastic trim and cut it seperately. Be careful not to cut it too big, then the damn thing will fall out all the time.

-As for speaker installation, I put two 6x9 3-way Pioneers adjacent to the rear seat. This was very easy to do, just use a razor blade to cut holes using the template on the box. Amazingly, the interior panels on the truck are more than enough to support the speakers.

-The wiring might be tough. You need two power wires to run the cassette deck (I think). I needed two for my CD player. One is a constant power source which you can run directly from your battery (carefully). The other power wire is called the remote wire which basically turns on the deck. This should be a wire that becomes alive when the truck is turned on in the accessory position. You can find a wire like this by putting your truck in the accessory position and running a power meter or ohm meter, anything that gives you an indication of current or power. Then of course you need a ground wire. I just find the nearest bolt or screw that is unpainted and out of the way (so no one will see it) and just loosen it, wrap a wire around it, and then tighten it back up.

-To install the speakers, I suggest buying new wire and run it from the deck to the speakers, hiding it in the trim and carpet. Buy wire that has two seperate lines that run parallel to each other to simplify the operation. By the way, each speaker needs two wires.

-I think you can buy an antenna and then install it and run the wire to the back of the deck. I've never done this so I won't speculate on how to do it.

Hopefully that covers alot of your questions.

'87 Beast
    Colorado, USA

3. AintNoEconoCar

AintNoEconoCar Registered Member

Thanks!!

That wiring info helped.. Though im a bit afriad of cuting my dash up (: any mounting ideas? Ya, i dont have any interior panels i think i just bolt some external ones to to the ceiling.

Do you know what color wires go where?? there are wires in there that i can use, im just not sure which dose what, they where color coded my the manufacturer on my last truck.

Dont sweat the petty things,
    dont pet the sweaty things.

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Depending on the trim level of your Blazer, it won't have too much of a wiring harness - probably only two wires on a 77. One is for the light, and another for the power. My suggestion would be to pick up a cheap test light, and test the leads (No clue for color coding that far back - sorry[​IMG]). One should kick on with the light switch, and one with the key. I'd run entirely new speaker wiring, since your OEM setup was most likely a single speaker in the center of the dash. Side panels can be easily fabbed yourself out of MDF or Particle board, and covered with carpet/vinyl/tweed, whatever you like. This will give you a great place to mount speakers, and solve your lack of interior paneling.

As for mounting your head unit, on mine, I used about 50 cutting wheels on the Dremel tool to cut it out, and then slipped in the mounting sleeve, and used two pieces of 1" x 1/8" steel to make brackets to hold it from the back, and used rubber bushings at the mounting points to isolate a little bit of vibration. Scosche sells a trim ring that covers the small gaps left behind in the OEM trim plate. There's a pic where you can see my setup here: pugsley.alloffroad.com