Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steve and Shawn I have some ??'s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dpearson, Oct 10, 2001.

1. dpearson

dpearson Registered Member

Steve and Shawn I have some ??\'s

I currently have a 75 that I wrecked and bent the frame. Ive decided to keep most of the parts and start fresh with a newer model and cut the top off. My questions are the following I have a 454 currently, can I drop it in and hook up the fuel injection or would it be better to sell it and stick with the stock motor. Also I noticed Steve that you are going to cut your top, have you done it and if so I hope you do an article. Im going to take my time buying a clean blazer so I have time to really plan this ones build up, I learned a lot about what not to do on the 75. I was just hoping you guys could give some insight into your own personal do's and dont's. Thanks for the time. P.S. The parts list currently includes the 454, 205 TH350, dana60 and 14bolt.

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Steve and Shawn I have some ??\'s

When you drop the BB in make sure to get the fuel lines etc. from your old setup but everything should transfer over to a newer model. Haven't cut the top yet, I did cut off a windshield frame from a 75 at the junk yard on Saturday, not sure on weather to use that or just cut it, if I just cut it I can weld the roll cage (that I don't have yet) to the frame for better stability, I plan on running a soft top so that is not an issue. I have so much to do this winter that the top will not come off untill this summer if that early.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

3. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

A BBC swap is easy to do but you sould check with your states emmissions dept and make sure it's do-able. You will need all the brackets for the BBC and a larger radiator/shroud. As for FI, you will need to make sure it's enough to feed the BBC at the higher RPM's. A stock 350 TBI won't be enough. Don't do what I did and drop the 454 in with just a carb. I strongly suggest keeping the FI even if you have to run the SBC for a couple of years. Your milage will suffer a little on the street but on the trail, I can honestly say it gets the same as a SBC since you're mostly running at the lower RPM's.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.off-road.com/chevy>www.off-road.com/chevy</a>

4. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I just re-read your post, sorry, I thought you meant that you had a running fuel injected 454 in your 75 in which case you could just swap everything over. Like Shawn said, you may want to run the 350 for a bit while you track down all the brackets, shroud etc..

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

5. dpearson

I have all the brackets and radiator and shroud for the BBC but I am currently running an edelbrock 750cfm carb. Shawn are you saying to stay with the sbc until I could round up a fi sys. from a 454, say a newer Suburban. Are there other concerns, such as computer module? Does the 700 hold up well? Thanks for the advice.

6. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

A TH700R4 will do fine, so long as you get an Art-Carr or Raptor700 unit. They are rated for 700hp and 600hp respectively. If you're in the southern states, I recommend the Raptor. The Transmission Center is located in Bossier LA., and if you go pick it up, the cost would be about $1500 plus fuel. That includes the torque converter. I know of only one other person on this board (KrebsATM02) that runs this tranny, but we're both very happy with them. Give their website a look.

www.700Raptor.com

I Hope this helps,

David Oliver
    '85 'burban
    B&amp;B 6.2L J NA
    Raptor700
    5.5"lift, 35"BFGs
    *Banks Turbo coming soon*<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by AgDieseler on 10/10/01 01:42 PM.</FONT></P>

7. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Any steep angle will kill the carb. You can try to build the carb to run at severe angles but it will never be like the FI you have now. The problem with a newer BBC TBI system is those engines are designed to run with peanut port heads and a certain stockish cam. If you try to run that TBI and computer on your oval port 454, it won't run too well. You can always have Howell or some FI shop burn you a chip though. The other option is aftermarket FI like Holley and Edelbrock. The stock 700 probably won't hold up and you would have to get it built by a reputable 700 shop to handle the torque as mentioned above. I might be switching to a TH400 from my 465 soon. The 400's are cheap and can easily handle the abuse. The only thing the 400's lack is the lower 1st gear and OD. With a doubler, I don't care what ratio my 1st is and I don't really mind not having OD on the freeway.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.off-road.com/chevy>www.off-road.com/chevy</a>

8. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Hey there, this is Danny, i talked to you about you're 1/2 toan axles in El Paso, if you need any help w/ anything or need to find anything in Juarez, sp? let me know.

Sun Desert Offroad <a target="_blank" href=http://4x4.alloffroad.com>4x4.alloffroad.com</a>

9. dpearson

Hey Danny,

I'm debating on salvaging my parts and starting fresh with a newer model blazer. Do you know if there are any 94 and newer 1ton chevys in any of the junkyards in Juarez. I would like to get the motor tranny t-case and all the electronics. How is your rockcrawler coming??

10. dpearson

Danny,

Give me a call when you get the chance. 833-1796
    Derek