Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steve Chin,a question

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BobK, Mar 10, 2001.

1. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Steve,back on Blazer-net a topic came up on anti-theft systems.I think you said a cheap way was to ground out your tach wire.Am I remembering correctly,can you elaborate.
    I ask because Thursday night some-one thought I didn't need my chrome beauty rings on each of my wheels.Damn...they were mint too!It kinda got me spooked too.Put a chain though the holes in the hood (by the hood latch)and ran the chain down through the grille and pad locked it under the bumper.Don't know what I'd do if some-one took the whole truck.

[​IMG]<font color=green>BobK<font color=green>

2. HarryL

HarryL 1/2 ton status

Bob,

I use a method that will deter a joyrider, but not the serious thief. I take 6-8' of chain, and run it around the seat mount and through the steering wheel. I then padlock the whole shebang together. No bolt cutters, no ride.

Just an idea.

Harry

3. Thanks Harry.I've thought of the Grant removeable steering wheels too.No steering wheel no ride either unless they carry around a Grant wheel in thier pocket.

4. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Bob, if you have a stock points ignition system, you can run a wire from the negative side of the coil to ground. If you have an HEI, run a wire from the TACH terminal on the cap to ground. As long as this wire is grounded, the engine will not run because the switching signal from the points (or HEI ignitor module) will go to ground rather than to the coil.

5. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Steve,can I run the wire from any part of that wire?for example,near the tach,under the dash so as it's not seen too easy.Or does the wire NEED to be connected directly to the cap tach terminal.

[​IMG]<font color=green>BobK<font color=green>

6. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Bob, you can tap into the trigger wire for the tachometer, but a good car thief might spot that if he's under your dash. Running a separate wire into the interior is a little sneakier...