Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steve, question about hosting CAD files

Discussion in 'Feedback | Site Announcements' started by Kyle89K5, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Thoguht I would toss this up here to see what others thought of it as well.

There have been a lot of posts lately about CAD files being needed and sharing them. I checked my email and I have sent out the stuff I've got around 30 times (once to the original guy that drew it /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

What would be the chances of getting something like that hosted. I would be more than happy to give up my picture space or even donate an additional $25 for another membership to get that space.

What do you think?

KP

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

How big are they and can they be viewed online etc..

3. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

One of them that I have is about 1.1 meg the other is about 40k

Not real big files. I may be able to work out a way for you to allow viewing of the files online. At least a thumbnail. I've got some products that I sell and some that are free that give people the option of viewing files online.

One other option, to make these available for EVERYONE, not just CAD people like myself, is to have a link to the Autodesk webpage where they could download a product called Volo View Express. It's free and lets people look at AutoCAD files. You can also incorporate that into a website. That's how alot of my clients share data.

I can send you a copy of Volo View, or you can go here to download a copy to see what I'm talking about. Volo View Express Page as well as one of the files.

Let me know.

4. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Kyle
    I haven't forgot about this just been busy with the automation subscription scripts, I have to focus on this right now in order to go live with it by June 1st, but after that let's revisit it, I should have a little more time then. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Deal.

When you get time, let me know. I sell this software for a living and spend a fair amount of time setting up the viewing software for people. Shouldn't be to hard.

Just let me know.

KP

6. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

You can also make a .pdf, I think everyone should have acrobat reader.

7. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You can also make a .pdf, I think everyone should have acrobat reader.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason I was shooting for the native file format is so that people could manipulate the files after they got them. Having a .pdf crossed my mind, but I don't want Steve to have to double host files.

I guess it's up to Steve at this point though /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I can host it. Email it to me.