Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steve, spare tire idea

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Thumper, Apr 19, 2001.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Hey Steve, saw this in an old issue of Petersens. The guy built a tire rack, kinda between his roll bar supports right at the back of his truck. It looked like a prerunner truck box type, but it was totally above the height of the box sides. It was sloped back towards the front of the truck, it can be angled as much as needed to fit under your top. The main supports for the rack went from roll bar support to roll bar support. You know the angled rear bars at the back of the bed. I suppose you could make it ?rotateable? either down to the back, or up towards the cab. This way, you can still have the rear seat, and a large box for gear under the tire, and its off the back bumper of the truck. A guy could even make it so the tire lays flat, just run supports across from the top of each box side to the other. The tire wouldnt raise the center of gravity either. If you need more info, let me know and I will try to explain further.
    Just a thought...

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

2. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

Hey Mike, was that a pre-runner or chase truck? What issue was it?

<font color=green>Joe Angelicchio
    86 Jimmy 4+3, 35-&gt;39.5 tires,4spd
    </font color=green>
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Sounds like something I might end up doing, do you have the mag?

Steve
    [​IMG]
    Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Look Mom! no attachment to the bumper [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    $100 in materials. When you going to get you a welder and start making your own? More pic on my site. You can offset the door sizes to accomidate your big tires and bolt your Jerry can rack to it. I made mine tight and it doesn't make noise. I can sit of the tire and open the door and it still operates fine even with the extra 220lb. If you want to get fancy you could cut down an old gate and make the fill peices to clean up the sides. It's nice when your loading stuff because you don't have to slide it over the gate. Also nice when on a tight trail you don't need 6ft of swing room for the carrier. As long as the guy behind you left 30inches you can open it.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

5. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I have been feverishly trying to locate the photo again, I just looked at it the other day. Im positive it was a 2000 issue, and I eliminated the following months... August, April, July. There is a jeep in Petersens 4Wheel and Off-Road, on page 148 of the July 2000 issue that is sorta like what I was explaining. His tire is laying flat on something, the one I saw used the 2 roll bar supports like in those photos, and the tire was leaning on an angle, with the rack for it braced between the two bars. I will keep looking, and as soon as I find it, I will scan the photo and post it for ya.

Later
    Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

6. freeforever

freeforever 1/2 ton status

Hea Grim....why is your name green like steves? are you staff or somptin?

"Fool me once shame on you...fool me twice shame on me"
    ---------------
    "A closed mouth gathers no foot."

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Grim is our moderator. He spanks us when we get out of line... [​IMG]

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

8. Grim-Reaper

Hay I saw another idea in a mag that may work. Why stand the tire up at all. Lay it flat on the floor and build a shelf over it mounted off the roll cage. Something like a confer rack that can be quickly removed if you need to carry something big. You could even get really slick and put slides on it so you can pull it out like a drawer tom make access easier. Then you can load all the trail gear on top of the tire if needed but if you need the spare drop the gate and drag it out without having to unload the whole truck. Only down side is getting the tire to slide to load and unload. There was a picture of something like that in a mag recently also.
    Truck is 48 inches between the wheel tubs so that would even alow some room for stuff like a tool box or some ammo boxes becide it and some trail gear. If you look on my site there is a picture of a shelf I built simular to this idea. I didn't stow a tire but I did stow everything else. Sure made it nice to be able to access my normal trail gear without having to fight my camping gear when back country camping. That shelf is back in the 79 that it was built for since it was never intended to be wet. It was made out of a high grade plywood with oak face.
    Now one thing I do want to point out is mud. BIG reason I moved the spare outside the vehicle was so I didn't have to put a mud covered flat in the truck.

Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

9. JoeAngelicchio

What's the largest tire that can fit between the back of the seat and the gate? Can't go out to measure my truck right now, thought you may have an idea. I like the storage over the tire idea. You can use non-backed outdoor carpet attached under a board to slide the tire in and out.

</font color=green>
    [​IMG][​IMG]

10. CK5

My old 36 fit but my new 37 does not, I plan on gutting the interior and rino-lining so mud dosen't matter. I might put the spare on a swing away but mounted just inside the tail gate with a alum trail box bolted to the floor behind it.

Steve
    [​IMG]

11. JoeAngelicchio

Can the rear bench be relocated forward by a few inches?

</font color=green>
    [​IMG][​IMG]

12. CK5

Yep, but I would rather just make use of the space behind the seat.

Steve
    [​IMG]

13. JoeAngelicchio

If you put the tire on a swing-a-way, have you got enough height clearance at the opening?

</font color=green>
    [​IMG][​IMG]

14. Grim-Reaper

Here is another couple ideas for your box. I hated haveing a top open box becase it was a pain to get stuff out. I found a underbed box that has a side door so it open like the tail gate. that way I can pile stuff on top. My bud was also tired of the same deal. He;s using a big Contico box and had to climb on the tailgate to get anything. He took that box and found some Cshaped track. I forget what this stuff is called. They use if for hanging BIG counduit in buildings. He then took some peices of box that would fit inside it but was large enough it couldn't pass through the open side of the C track. This made a heavy duty slide. Has a couple pins to keep if from sliding foward and back on the trail but when he needs to get into the box he can pull the pins and slide the box right out onto the tail gate for easy access to the contents of the box. Worked out quite well.

Grim-Reaper

15. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Grim that C-shaped piece is called unistrut.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken