Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steve W: ? Shackle flip..

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by K5 NUTT, Jan 9, 2002.

1. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

I think i talked to you last year about this but i want to rehash it again and make it happen. 6" springs fornt and rear...superlifts..yeah..got the butt sag goin...lol. Anyways...have a set of revolvers...even though i saw Potent Podent get hung on the trail...want to install your 2.5" shackle flip on the 79...and the revolvers. 6" springs and the revolvers will give me 1/2 to much....but..what if i removed the overload that super lift puts in the pack...and replaced it with your 1" anti butt sag blocks...shoot me some ideas so i can stop being embarassed to drive her....lol. If you think it'll work i'll call and order things up. Thanx bud!

Azblazer

1979 K5 350 TBI
    1976 K5 Chalet
    If it ain't got arizona pinstriping.....you ain't wheelin the pee outa her!

2. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

I asked Stephen a few weeks back about the same thing with Tuff Country springs, i am going to run the 4" flip and was thinking about running a 3" spring with the overload removed, he suggested against it, he said that only one guy he knows of has been happy doing something like that and it was a short bed that never hauls anything and never really has any weight in the back, he suggested i stick with the 2" spring and keep the overload, but lets see what he says about your sit, maybe the different springs will make a difference.

Leland aka RaisedK5

"Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most!"
    "Are the voices in my head bothering you?

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

The problem with removing overloads is that most rear springs do not have enough capacity to hold up the truck without the overloads. one of 2 things will stop your bump travel, spring capacity or the bumpstop. We all know how functional the bumpstops are on these things so typically it's the spring capacity. A typical rear pack is 4-5 thin leaves plus the progressive overload so without the overload you're relying on the thin leaves only. That's about the same amount of spring material that holds up a stock wrangler so it definitely won't work on a lifted K5.
    Turning the overload over on a stock pack can work just because it's not letting the spring go too much too far, but a K5 will destroy the springs without the overload at all. Been there, found out how it works!
    I'd start looking for another route to go on the ride heights.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

4. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Thanx for the reply Steve...i was afraid weight was to be the inclusive restriction.....lol. So basically to run the revolvers i need the 4" shackle flip...and of course 4" rear springs...and this will end the butt sag and keep her level...so much for reusing the 6" springs i allready have....lol.

Azblazer

1979 K5 350 TBI
    1976 K5 Chalet

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

1/2"? Your worried about a 1/2 inch? The way these Blazer's settle, it would correct itself in a year or so. [​IMG] I think I would just do it with the 6" springs and see how it works. I expect you could easily recoup most of your expenses for the 2.5 flip and buy a 4" flip + 4" pack later if you feel you must.

Also, changes in geometry might cause things flex more or add up a bit different than you think. If the result is high enough to bother you, you could take out a leaf other than the over-load. Taking out the smallest leaf probably won't be very noticeable and will drop you about 1/4" (or a little more, the leaf itself is just over 1/4" but I don't think it adds to arch or rate at ride height). If that isn't enough, removing the second (free) leaf would probably get you a 1/2" drop or so with a reduction in ride stiffness as well. You can't take out the first leaf (longest, just under the main leaf) or you risk bending the main leaf near the eye. Heck, I bent the main leaf near the eye with a 4" lift spring that had all the leafs in. Superlift's usually ride harsh anyway (or so I hear) so that might be a good thing. Another thing I noticed in the last couple of days, you could swap in an overload leaf from another pack. For instance, I noticed during my recent spring escapades that the F150 over-load is only about 1/2 the size of the GM 1 ton over-load. Not sure how it compares to the 1/2 ton over-load but my point is, "there is more than one way to skin that cat". [​IMG]

Just a thought...

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

6. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

BTW Russ: Your manual has arrived...still goin sat?

Most likely will do the 2.5 flip...as i'm to cheap to buy another set of springs at this point...but eventually i want to lose the tailgate in favor of a p/u gate...and a softtop to shed some weight in the rear...which might make her go up rather than down. When i put this 6" lift in and dumped the 4"...i set the rear driveshaft angles ....and after the usual settleing..the vibration has come back...so gotta do something...lol. But for now Moose has me slavin in my garage with his race truck to prep it for the parker 400...so it'll be a bit afore i'll have the time to monkey with it anyways...lol.

See ya sat!

Azblazer

1979 K5 350 TBI
    1976 K5 Chalet

7. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Hey doug I dont know if you looked at my springs this weekend or not but I run the 4" TC springs in the front and 6" TC springs in the rear with the overload fliped. It flexs awsome. I dont tow with it, but before it rolled it had the hard top, and about 300 lbs of stereo equipment and tools. It sat about a 1/2" higher in the rear.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>