Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steven, WHAT is up with your suspension?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Sub_Versive, Sep 26, 2001.

1. Sub_Versive

Sub_Versive Registered Member

Just got the latest Four Wheeler magazine - with the coverage of the Tough Truck competition. Steven, congratulations on 2nd Place. Looking at the pictures, I'm still stunned by the amount of articulation you've got on your rig. Do you have any details on your setup, or is it still classified? I'm fairly new to the Big Damn Truck world, so I can't spot different types of suspensions very well. Looks like you've got a coil over front suspension of some sort though, and I couldn't tell what's going on out back. Sure looks like it works great, though. I'll be p-mailing you soon to get some pointers on what direction (besides just UP) I should go with my suburban, and get started on a parts list - the one's you carry of course.

Jake Kooser

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

It's not exactly classified, just don't have the pics up yet. Basically link and coil front with extended leaves in the rear. Shocks are 16" travel front and rear. I've actually stiffened the front up a little since TTC and it works a little better on tippy stuff.
    There's nothing about the front suspension that's to be taken on by the light hearted, there was a lot of fab work and engineering involved to get it to work like that.
    For most guys and uses, a set of nice custom springs with crossover steering is going to work pretty well. I was mostly after the go fast ability of the coilovers, and they do work well for that. I'm constantly amazed at how fast I can hit big stuff with 42s and 16" of wheel travel. I can only imagine something like a trophy truck!

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

3. Sub_Versive

Fantastic. Maybe I'll have to do that on the next trip through the suspension ;-)... Guess I'll settle for a good leaf spring and cross over steering setup for a while. Not much need for trophy trucks here in Flatida, I mean Florida. Used to go play "off-road racer" in my old F-150 when I lived in New Mexico - borin' through the desert just as fast as a 240 6-cylinder would take us.... Didn't have any clue about suspension performance then, just knew it was a gas.

Jake Kooser

4. Sub_Versive

Hey, by the way, where can I find more information on off-road suspension stuff? You know, like them paper things with all the pictures and words in them?

Jake Kooser

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

There really isn't a good source of info just on offroad suspensions. Everything I've picked up has been gleaned from lots of sources, desert race stuff, circle track stuff, rockcrawling, etc. The 4wd mags are a source, but it takes a pretty good BS filter to get the good stuff. There's probably more quality info available on the web than anywhere else, but once again, it takes a good filter to go through the volume of info available. It's a little exasperating sometimes for sure...

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>