Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stick 4 speed in 6.2 Diesel???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by uglytruk, Feb 9, 2006.

1. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

IN A JUNKYARD, UNDER A TRUCK*N E Rust Belt
    I've been croozing eBay for a 6.2 Suburban, and once in a while come accross a 4 on-the-floor, but so far, all 5.7 gas jobs. Here's one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4610618887&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT. Anybody have a "new vehicle" brochure? Obviously, a 5 speed would be the way to go, like in "new" '92. what about a stick in one of those. Actually, seen a few pick-up, 1/2t, 1 ton dually, gas, diesel, etc, in the independant axle series. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4601157318&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1. So only staight axle missing from this picture. :haha:

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

check the home page out.

under spesifcations there are the brochures for every year.

and as far as I think the 6.2 suburban dident come with the 465.

but it doesent meen you cant make it that way.

I just got a 6.2 tourbo diesel for my sub and a 465/205 is the plan for me :D

3. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the tip aboot (Canadian, eh?) the home page/brochure. Tell me more about the 465/205. I always get my transcases mixed up. I have a couple castiron/two stick transcases. They're from late 70's 3/4 ton. Can they be made to work with one lever? I'm sure it's an old question.
    6.2 turbo diesel... Banks? I've got a couple. My '86 Sub "had" one, it's now a parts truck. :mad: Something blew up last week.

4. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

if the t cases are cast then they are eather 203's full time, or 205's part time and all gear tough.

and yeah the torbo is a banks, bought it off a member here, out of his monster crew cab on 53's!!!

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I am driving a 12.7L Diesel with a stick shift behind it everyday,,,:D

oh wait, wrong motor type:p:

6. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

ths sm465 manual never was offered behind the 6.2 in the Sub or K5 only the trucks. You have to swap it in yourself like me.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It's a worthwhile swap though...I love a manual tranny behind the 6.2.

Rene

8. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

So what's the best street combo, as far as transfer cases goes? I want full time AWD, and I have a couple of iron , late 70's tcases. With twisty hubs, I could "turn it off" . This for either 700R4, which I understand one needs to have the output shaft changed. I have that companys adapting shaft (saved in favorites). The 203(?, iron) only came with 3 speed TH350/400. My '87 3/4T has reedikulous 3.73's or 4.10's!
    But I have no idea about the late '80's up 5 speed. What tcase does that work with for square body???

9. snoman87

snoman87 Registered Member

If your going to go to all the trouble of swapping a manual behind a 6.2 you might as well go the extra bit and put a 5spd (NV4500) or 6sp (ZF6). I really like the manual but it's missing a gear between 2nd and 3rd as well as that elusive OD

It is a very doable swap