Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stick on Dash wood kits/How to Remove

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mobydick, Dec 14, 2003.

1. mobydick

mobydick Registered Member

I need some advice that's a bit OT but did not have any place else as credible as this forum to go to.

There is a local GMC Sierra that I can get a good deal on. The only thing is, the current owner has installed one of those wood grain stick on dash kits. The dash is a dark blue/gray and the wood grain appliques clash like [darn]. Anybody have any experience removing these? Can it done or do you never really get rid of the adhesive? Any other suggestions are welcome. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif TIA

2. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

I don't really have any experience with the aftermarket stuff but the brushed stainless looking stuff that is glued to the factory dash bezel has some nasty glue!

Just make sure that you don't try to use lacquer thinner on the bezel, whatever kind of plastic the dash is made of,,,,,it ain't ABS!! I ruined mine trying to get the glue off with the thinner. Ended up spraying it with bedliner to cover the mess up. It actually ended up looking pretty good,,,,silver lining in the cloud I reckon.

My best guess would be something like Goof Off. Whatever you try, make sure you test it first.

3. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

just rip it off. Use some rubbung alcohal or fingernail polish remover to ge the glue off. Then take a razor to the stuborn parts.

Nick