Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stick vs. Auto numbers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by '73 K5, Oct 27, 2000.

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I consider myself to be lucky since I have a factory SM465/NP205 Blazer. Here's the question. Out of all the Blazers made(either just 1973 or 1969-1991) what percentage of those came with manual trannys? I'm just curious to see how much of a minority my truck is in.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm kind of curious too, my 81 Jimmy is a factory 4 gear too.(was originally a NP 208, now is a 205)
    I've seen quite a few 89-91 ex-government K5's with 4 speeds but almost none with any options. Mine came with power everything and A/C as well.

Rene

[​IMG]

3. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

5. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

Don't know the percentage of manuals, but I looked a long time before finding a '91 factory SM465 with A/C, and then had to fly 400 miles to buy it and drive it home. In later years, the sticks seem to be rare on the west coast. I have found a few pre-1980 blazers with sticks, but it's hard to find one in good condition.

6. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>A couple years ago when I was Blazer shopping, almost none were sticks, and I didnt want an auto. Thats one of the reasons I setlled on the K5 I have now. I dont think that will make them worth any more since most people prefer the auotmatic.</font color=blue>

7. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

My '73 has the SM465/NP205. I looked for a long time for a manual. The newer, the more rare the manual. And not too many of them in the older (pre-81) years. I don't know numbers though. I did see a very nice 86-87 in Autozone a while back with a manual. It may have been the 4speed overdrive that GM had for a few years. A friend with a 87 4x4 pickup had that tranny. I don't even know what it's called of if it's any good. Probably not since I never see any mention of it anywhere.

Cruisin in my '73.

8. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

I had that in an 83 shortbox 4x4. It was a car-style/size tranny. The 4th gear was OD. It cruised real nice, even shifted nice but mine growled very badly and parts were not available anywhere. Undersized IMHO for a truck.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

9. K2500

K2500 Registered Member

It seems that every K5 I find that has the manule in it has always been government. Either millitary or forest service. All the civilian ones are auto. Just the way it seems to me.

If it aint leaking it aint mine [​IMG]

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Mine was definitely not military or government, and had all the options available in '81 except a tach., but thats a pretty rare thing in these trucks. Of course most of those options don't work anymore [​IMG], except for the power windows, but I keep fixing them because windows that don't work are a real PITA![​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

11. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

my 78 and 80 are both manual. both have a/c and tach, but neither of them have any other options such as power windows/tailgate/locks...etc. but i like it that way, then nothing fails or cant be fixed on the trail easily!

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

12. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

I have a '85 m1009 (Military Blazer) it has a 6.2 diesel backed to a TH400 and a NP208, the military never bought any manual trannies in this model. I have also seen the non-tactical versions of the blazer, the kind that base maintenance use and the have all been auto's as well. They quit using manuals supposedly because fewer and fewer people knew how to drive them. i cannot comment on the forestry vehicles the only thing i see them drive are those ugly green crew cab ford trucks.

13. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

To have a 73' with the manual set up is sweet. Back in the early 70`s auto trans were the "Hot Ticket". Most 73-75 k5`s are all TH 350/NP 203 drive train. Talk about auto combos from hell! Still people thought that they were getting the most modern set up that the world offered. In a way they were right. Look at todays SUV market, and you will see fulltime T cases mated to auto slush boxes in every price range vehical.
    So I`d say that you have a rare combo that was probably bought by some die hard who liked to wheel in granny low.