Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stick welder

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Jun 6, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Hey, I was wondering what a good stick welder is? And what is the price range for a good one? I will be wanting a Miller or Lincoln only, because that are the 2 best known names /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Any help is good /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the ac255 lincoln is a great machine and cheap, they have been around forever. the one we have, my dad used as a kid, and it still works great. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Really a stick welder is pretty much a stick welder. They mainly differ in duty rating and power. I have a 30 year old craftsman cheapo stick welder and it has never let me down. I always suggets going for the options you want first and brand name second.

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

How come when I am looking at them they don't say how thick of metal they can weld? Just a bunch of the amperage numbers and whatnot /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif?

5. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Because unless you are welding 1/2" or thicker plate it really doesn't matter. My 180A welder has welded everything I have needed it to from 1/8" angle steel to 1/2" plate (the 1/2" plate took multiple passes to fill the V notch but it is still holding as a repair to our backhoe to this day). I only change the amperage if I am welding thinner metal and I know at a higher setting it will burn through.

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Oooh okay. Do you have any suggestions on what model I should get? It seems you know what your talking about, so you can help me /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Thanks

7. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Actually everything I know is from 10 years of trial and error and reading welding books. I have only owned 1 stick welder and I discovered it in the basement of one of the cemetery buildings. It's a craftsman buzz box 180a stick welder that is older than I am. I know nothing about other welders. The main things I would look for is duty cycle, amperage, and cable length. If you aren't going to be welding hard core a 20% duty cycle should be plenty, it's what mine is. I wouldn't buy a stick welder less than 180a, 220a seems to be the sweet spot. And make sure the cables for the ground clamp and electrode holder are long enough. I hate having to weld something and the cable doesn't reach.

Incidentally I still use that stick welder. Between it and my 110v gas mig welder I haven't met a project I couldn't finish with my equipment.

8. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ac255 lincoln

[/ QUOTE ] I have the same machine. I bought it used for 150. It works great. I can weld anything I would ever mess with. What are your intentions with a stick welder? Why not go with a good millermatic mig or something of that nature? Then you can weld thick or thin.

9. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Scoutillac, I already have a Millermatic 135 MIG welder, so I can use that for thin stuff, then instead of buying another MIG welder, I thought a Stick welder would be good for bumpers and thicker metal /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rootbreaker, I like the sounds of that welder you have. How do you like it? I also like the price compared to some Stick welders I've seen /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

11. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

Re: Stick welder *DELETED*

Post deleted by ugly_blazer

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I just read the specs again, and Lincoln said they can only weld up to 3/16" metal, which is the same as my MM 135 /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

13. ugly_blazer

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a Lincoln AC225 that I bought new for $239.00 and it does a great job. The AC only model will probably do just fine for you as opposed to an AC/DC model. I like stick welders because I am lazy and don't clean rust, paint, dirt, etc... from metal very well, but the stick blasts right through it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Lincoln at Lowes

14. ugly_blazer

[ QUOTE ]
    I just read the specs again, and Lincoln said they can only weld up to 3/16" metal, which is the same as my MM 135 /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I can burn through 1/4" plate with mine real easy, and it has welded 3/8 without a problem. On the site it says a 3/16" electrode, is that what you seen? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Electrode is the term for the stick, which would be 3/16" diameter.

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

This is what I read :
    [ QUOTE ]
    • 225 amp AC output is enough for 3/16" diameter general purpose mild steel electrodes and most 5/32" sizes.

[/ QUOTE ]

So the 3/16 part means the electrode? What sizes of electrodes is there? I am assuming, the smaller the electrode, the thinner metal you weld? You said you can weld 3/8ths metal? Do you think it could weld 1/2"? Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

16. ugly_blazer

I'm sure it could weld 1/2". I weld 1/4" on the 90 or 105 amp setting (usually 90) and it penetrates real deep. The settings of course go to 225.

Here is a good Electrode Link to read. It tells of different amperage, rod sizes, and types of rod. I usually use an 1/8" 6011.

17. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I have the Licoln AC225 stick welder that my dad used when he was a kid and it still works great. And I have welded 1" thick metal with it in a single pass with ease /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

thats what i said /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif except the 1" part but i did do it, took 2 passes to fill the V though.

19. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    And I have welded 1" thick metal with it in a single pass with ease

[/ QUOTE ]
    1" with one pass? What kind and how much rod did you use? You didn't weld a full one inch thick weld did you? And aren't you "suppose" to cover pass with two beads over one and 3 over 2 and so on to fill that deep of a groove? I need a to see a pic of a 1 pass 1" deep weld with a stick welder to believe it.

20. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    And I have welded 1" thick metal with it in a single pass with ease

[/ QUOTE ]
    1" with one pass? What kind and how much rod did you use? You didn't weld a full one inch thick weld did you? And aren't you "suppose" to cover pass with two beads over one and 3 over 2 and so on to fill that deep of a groove? I need a to see a pic of a 1 pass 1" deep weld with a stick welder to believe it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed 1" with 1 pass is not feasable with a 225a welder. It will not penetrate 1" deep. You would need to make a groove so your plates look like this when they meet \/ then you use multiple passes to fill that groove. I have done this exact weld on 1" thick plate.