Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stick Welders

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84k5, Jan 13, 2003.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I was just wondering about the operating cost of these. Like how much can be done with 5lbs of electrodes? Are these much more expensive to run than buying gas and wire for a mig?

What about AC vs AC/DC? Seems like the DC is more for thinner stuff. The budget is tight, so I don't want to spend the extra $125 for AC/DC if I don't need to.

Thanks for the input. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

i like to weld in ac (much more stable arc). i think its worth it for the ac. how much can be done with a 5lb box is up to what you are doing.

3. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I think you got AC mixed up with DC. A DC box costs more and provides the more stable ARC. I too would prefer it over AC, but I already own an AC so I got what I got, ya know.

4. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

well, with dcep you would get the best arc characteristics, so your right, but with dc you get arc blow, with ac you don't. i just find that welding ac is much easier that dc.

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

hmmmm, first off i am a full on GREENHORN when talking welding. But I love to learn!!
    I have Lincoln 225 AC/DC Buzz Box. Killer machine, well I like it anyway. Hell any machine I can lay a bead with iss killer in my mind /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I have been doing all my welding in DC mode. Some one told me once, forget who, that DC has better penitration!
    So??? I do have alot of spater to clean after, would AC leave less of a mess? I guess I should play with the AC setting and find out /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. Hmmmmm gots me thinking
    What is more important, penitrating the weld or clean looking? Hell probly both ahahahaa /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

6. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Im just taking the welding corse now, and our instructor says that DCEP (Dc reverse) produces the best penetration, next best is AC, then DCEN. What rods are you using to get the splatter? if its 6011, youll have to live with it. I prefer 3/32 7018 on DCEP at 90-100 amps, no slatter and easy to clean up.