Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stick welding 120 wall tubing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chvyhs, Feb 3, 2003.

1. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

What kind of rod and at what amperage are you using. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gifI made a hole while welding my rock sliders to the angle iron mount. Thanks for any help.

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

what were you using?

When i did mine with a lincoln 225 stick welder, i was using 6013 or 6018 (which ever it is) and it was right around 100 amps

3. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

1/8" 6011 @ about 90 amps (AC) should work well. Just go fast.

John

4. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

I'd use 5/32's or 1/8" 6013, for this is a light gauge rod and is very easy to strike and maintain on thin metal, deffinetlly use ac current for the fact that ac alternates and arc gouging and filler metal is equal meaning penetration and filler metal is the same depth/thickness, welding on as thin of metal you are welding this probablly won't turn out like I say but ac will keep you from blowing holes as for amprege its hard to say I'd start at 75 amps and go up or down as needed depending on rod thickness and how well your fitup is, if you don't have a tight fit up stop and do so for this will make a big difference on weldability and strength. sometimes tight fit up is not an option so striking the arc, weld one puddle and stop to let it freeze, if you can weld good you can pull away the rod while still keeping an arc flow letting the filler freeze and then bringing the rod back close to the puddle, kind of like doing a vertical uphill weld /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all of the responses. It sounds like my problem is too much amperage. I was at 120 amps.