Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stick with leaf springs, or convert to coilover?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PhoenixZorn, Mar 25, 2005.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Just curious... daily driver 90%, trail rig 10%, 31x10.5x15 bfgs, 4" suspension lift... Will coilovers improve my ride or make it rougher than it already is with the leaf setup?

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Itll improve your ride. but thats a lot of work, and very pricey for a 10% trail rig. what brand leaves are you running? There are more options then running a coilover.
    52"s in the front.. Very soft ride. Or get yourself a different brand of leaves. First though, you should check out your front suspension and see if there is anything hindering its performance.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Coilovers are really expensive and take a lot of work to setup. For a 90% daily driver I'd say no way. If it were the other way around my attitude might be different. yes they could give a great onroad ride but the cost and work would far outweigh just buying nicer leaf springs in my book.

4. PhoenixZorn

thanks guys... I was thinking the same thing, but had to ask... I'm thinking the springs are aftermarket, but I'll have to check them when I get the truck back. I was thinking about an add-a-leaf lift... but my mom already told me the truck is too tall for her to get in now...

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Add-a-leaf will only make it stiffer (Harsher ride)

6. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

:yikes: :waytogo: ;)

7. mrhoes

mrhoes 1/2 ton status

i agree dont do add a leaf, i just took mine off and put in blocks and it is a lot softer, do blocks or new springs

8. Silver84k5

yea do blocks... they rock :D

9. Silver84k5

if you want a nice ride and 4 inches of lift. There is a cheap, easy way to do it. Shackle flip with stock springs out back, and 52"s up front with longer shackles.

all in all i have about 60 dollars worth of leaf springs, 100 dollars for the shackle flip... plus other nickle and dime stuff like bolts, steel for shackles, braided brake lines.

If you dont want to get that involved, then just do the shackle flip in the back, and get you some Tough Country's for the front :P keep us posted.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

what silver said. The 52s will have some aftermath though... you'll need to address brake lines, driveshaft length, bump stops and/or limiting straps, possibly fender trimming from the axle relocation etc etc. For quick n easy just use some good aftermarket 4" springs.

j

11. PhoenixZorn

Those were the stats for my truck as it is right now... it already has a 4inch suspension lift... it rides about 2.5 feet off the ground now.

New question, which should have been the original question, but I misworded it to begin with....

Leaf Springs or Shocks.... I'm looking at a few different types, mostly just standard shocks, but a few long travel setups... How much travel can I get out of a leaf spring rig compared to a shock rig? I doubt I'll ever need as much twist as some of you guys put on your trucks on the one wheel ramp thing, but I also don't want to bottom out my springs... Rancho shocks are only like $50.00 each right now, and Summit is running buy 3 get one free... I'd get their steering assist too... just to have the matching parts...

12. PhoenixZorn

Oh yeah... and if shocks... should I do a double shock setup, or single tube??

13. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

Leaf Springs or shocks?

Keep the suspension setup the way it is. If you convert to coilover or a shock setup you are looking at a couple grand just to have someone convert your trcuk to accept the VERY pricey shocks.

You already have a leafspring setup right now and i would say keep it deffinately.

For shocks, i would just go with a single tube unless you are just rolling in money.
    Ive been running the 4 same shocks my truck came with since i got it and they are still good and my truck rides smoothe.

If you are looking for extra height, why not get a 35 or 36 inch tire. That will give you 4 more inches just in rubber. You will be fine on a 4in lift with 35s. 36s you might have to hack off 2 little inner edges off the fender but thats it/