Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sticking choke

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by georgiared84, Jan 18, 2003.

1. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

I've got a 4barrel quadrajet carb (83) that has an electric choke. The choke is getting stuck shut. I've cleaned and lubed the linkage but every once in a while, it will still get caught about 1/4 open. How do I get it to open all the way without getting stuck?

2. blueturd

blueturd Registered Member

Have checked or replaced the elec. choke module? Make sure it works like it should, then check the linkage on the choke side of the carb. Occassionaly they develop a burr that keeps the mechanisms from sliding

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Sounds like a bad element. 1/4 inch is about what it should pop open on it's own once the engine pulls some air through it.
    Make sure you have 12v at the choke with the engine RUNNING. If the engine isn't running you should not have power there. GM put a oil pressure switch in line so that if you turned the key to run but didn't start the truck the choke wouldn't cycle or run the battery down.
    If you got power then it sounds like the heter element is bad. any auto parts store should have that in stock. Before removing the old one pay attentiong to the way it's turned. Install the new one about the same and it should be close to being adjusted.
    When you remove the old one do it very slowly and pay attention to where the hook on the choke lelment engages the fork in the choke housing.
    If you don't have power with the engine running then start by checking the fueses. you can trace the wire back to the swtich behind the distributor and check for power before the switch. If you have power befor the switch. You can check with the key to ON but don't have to start. You checked for power after the switch when you tested at the choke with it running.
    Then it's a bad switch.

4. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Does it run normal till you hit the gas then it sticks then you gotta go push the choke back down? I was wondering the same thing

5. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

Sometimes it does, sometimes it just never disengages at all. Thanks for the info everyone. I also found an older post with a part number for the element. I'm going to do the electrical check and then try a new element.