Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sticking clutch linkage

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fwdjunky, Oct 12, 2003.

1. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

I'm sure this isn't a great way to win friens here, but I've been a Bronco or Jeep or Land Cruiser or anything but Chevy guy my whole life. Not that I disliked Chevy, just by happenstance. Anyway, I have finally ventured into the GM world with a 79 stepside with mechanical clutch linkage. The clutch works great, but the pedal sticks about half way up (basically right after the clutch fingers are extended, right at the bottom of the free play). The rod that runs through the floor board is twisting forward and to the right as the pedal cycles, and is rubbing on the body as it moves, hence the sticky pedal. Any common wear points in the linkage to look for? I'm thinking I may be better off just to pony up the bucks to convert to a hydraulic set up. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks!

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'd say pony the bucks. Have someone press the clutch while you look at the linkage under the hood. Sounds like yours is doing what mine does when I press my clutch. First the whole pivot assembly slides sideways(worn shaft bushings I guess), then my frame pushings out allowing for more movement. My clutch still works fine but as soon as I find a clutch setup I'm converting.