Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sticking gas pedal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rcamacho, Sep 27, 2005.

1. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Folks, I'm having some difficulty with the accelerator pedal binding in the plastic/metal housing where it attaches to the floor. I've lubricated the pivot internally, verified cable function and throttle return springs.

Anyone solved this?

2. wubba_65

wubba_65 Registered Member

What are your symptoms? how do you know that it is the pivot, and not the throttle cable? I had a "sticky" gas pedal, and I replaced the throttle cable, and viola, no more stick pedal. After a search on here, i found that the cable eventually wears a groove in the casing, causing the pedal to stick when you want to accelerate. For some (like mine) it only sticks when moving the pedal from idle to increase the throttle. Once you get 'some' gas on it, it seems to move relatively freely. Others experience this trouble throughout the entire throttle range. Other causes are frayed strands of your cable binding in the casing.

Not sure where you're from, but in Canada I went to UAP NAPA, and it cost me ~ $35.00 tax inc. to replace the throttle cable. It's a relatively cheap part, and it solved my issues. Made mine a joy to drive once more!!

3. uglyangelracing

uglyangelracing 1/2 ton status

Yeah I had mine fray in the sheath. Picked up a new on 5 min install and I was done.

4. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Cable issue - yep

Righto. I checked the cable out carefully again. There is no interference on the carb side but the firewall side sticks like crazy. Time to order a new one.

5. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

I had/have the same problem. The throttle would stick on acceleration. I did a search on the forum and found that most of the time it was the cable. I ordered a replacement cable and the problem was WORSE!!! I lubed up the old cable and the accelerator pedal pivot and put the old cable back on. It works okay, but not as smooth as I would like for it to be. I think there might be some problems with the TBI throttle shaft bushings.

ARAMP1

6. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

I'm having the same problem

It seems real light throttle it's ok, but as soon as I want to give it a litle gas, the pedal is hard to push and then once it's over come I end up giving it more gas than I like, this happens just off of idle. sounds like I'm in a hurry to get somewhere, when I should be going slow (i.e. coming through the gate at work). Could this be the cable also. I too checked at the throttle body and it moves smooth by hand.

7. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

My throttle shaft moves freely by hand, and my throttle cable moves freely when it's out. But, when it's installed it's almost in a loop. It's almost like I have a cable that is 8-10 inches too long. Maybe that has something to do with it.

ARAMP1

8. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

got mine fixed

replaced the accelerator cable today. Fit perfect. Mine has the loop also, problem seem to be the plastic grommet at the pedal end was not installed and all chewed up.