Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sticking Rear Window due to Cold...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by crahm, Dec 24, 2001.

1. crahm

crahm Registered Member

We finally had a morning below freezing in Dallas today. I had my rear window down about 4 inches (get the duck stink out of the truck) last night and this morning it wouldn't go up or down. I could hear the motor try to raise or lower the glass but it wouldn't move. I could lift the glass with my hand about a 1/4 inch and push down about 1/4 inch but the motor wouldn't take it up or down. Does anyone think it could be moisture inside the tailgate freezing the hinges/assembly? What other ideas are there?

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by crahm on 12/24/01 07:13 AM.</FONT></P>

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It could be ice. But the back window on my '87 was VERY slow in cold weather when I first bought the truck. There's a short cable, made like a speedomemter cable, that transfers power from the motor to the gearbox. The lube inside had turned into mud and in cold weather it would barely turn. Bought a new cable from the dealer (about $13 back in 1989) and the window worked like a charm once again. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

3. crahm

crahm Registered Member

Great! I'll disassemble the tailgate and find the cable. Maybe it can be taken apart, cleaned, and lubed up.

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

You could also get some silicon spray and spray the window grooves in the top (I do all my windows around now). That might not help the sticking while halfway down, but it's good practice anyway.

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    Welcome to America.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

My cable wouldn't come apart. [​IMG] GM had crimped a sleeve over the cable so it wouldn't come out of the sheath. [​IMG] I though about soaking it in kerosene or something, but once I found out that a new one only cost $13 I just replaced it. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...