Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sticky choke

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 76_Cheyenne, Sep 20, 2003.

1. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

My automatic choke is not operating right. It keeps the truck running at 800-900 rpm in drive at idle. Makes it tougher to stop and makes the drivetrain clunk when going in gear. It stays on, and only occasionally goes down to about 600rpm if i slam the peddle to the floor. Ive tried wd-40. doesnt work. Its a 4bbl quadrajet, sitting atop a eldebrock intake. any suggestions on how to correct this? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

If your choke was stuck on you'd be having rough running, low idle, and bogging symptoms. It sounds to me like your high idle cam isn't disengaging. It's attached to to your choke set up on the passenger side of your carb.

It's kinda hard to explain but there's a little arm that pivots up when you set your choke on cold starts. After the choke disengages you should be able to blip the throttle and the cam will drop and allow your engine to drop to low idle.

Take a close look at the passenger side of the carb and make sure that the high idle cam isn't binding on anything and that it's not gummed up.

Hope that helps, brother!!!

3. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

ok thanks, ill take a look this afternoon /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Let us know what you find, bro. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif