Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sticky Hood

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tom, Oct 14, 2000.

1. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

I've seen several blazer hoods that require a lot of thumping and fiddeling to get them open. Does anybody know the cause? Better yet, what is the cure? Thanks

2. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

When I bought my '89, it was almost impossible to open. Thumping and fiddeling is exactly what I had to do to get it open. I went to the Chevy dealer parts department and bought a new latch assembly. It took about 5 minutes to install and adjust it (just 2 bolts and the the cable slips right in), and it now the hood pops open like new. The cost was around $30.

'89 K5 Silverado 4" lift w/BFG 33's

3. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Hmmm I always thought it was kinda cool. I could pull the cable secretly, then walk out and just give it a thump right in the center (a little left of center) and up it pops!
    The kids love it! [​IMG]

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You mean they're supposed to pop up? [​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

5. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the commnet. I thought it was fun too, until 3 smog check mechanics and I spent 10 minutes getting it open. I think I'll work on it. It I find a cure I'll post it, if not it's gonna be a new latch.

6. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

I call it "Chevy hood". [​IMG] My old '86 Blazer did it, my 92 does it, and the '85 3+3 cab daully at work does it too. [​IMG] I even put a slight dent in my 92's hood thumping it. [​IMG] I'd be interested in how you fix it too.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Gibson, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's [​IMG]

7. loudandproud

loudandproud 1/2 ton status

Its called WD-40 [​IMG]. Both of my hoods were hard to open up too, but then I just put a lot of WD-40 on them and moved the parts around a bunch with my hands until they moved freely. Now they work fine.

8. Cornfed-90K5

Cornfed-90K5 Registered Member

Don't use WD40 use an oil can with 30wt oil it works the best. I used to fight my hood and I used WD40 it work for a while but I was having to do it all the time. I put the oil on and a year and a half later no sticking. In my shop manual it said not to use products like WD40 on the latch because they actually remove the lubrication needed.

Cornfed-90K5
    1990 K5 Blazer
    1977 Jeep CJ5

9. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

What's the matter guys ?......Don't you like being like Fonzie ?

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

10. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Being Fonzie is cool to a point. When a buddy loses the whole front end of his truck to fire cause he can't get the hood open, not cool. I'd rather be Potsie, than watch my truck go up in flames.

Rob 85K5

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>

11. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

The biggest problem is that white lithium grease that Chevy smeared on everything. The one thing it does well is turn to the consistency of bubblegum and rock candy over the years. A soaking of the hood latch in mineral spirits then paint thinner along with scrapping and brusing to get out all of the residue. I used AMSoil heavy duty metal protectant which if you havent tried is pretty good stuff. It leaves a lubricating film that last 200 times longer than WD 40.

12. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

Thanks Wheels. I cleaned it up and lubed it with "White Lightning" a bicycle lubricant, and it work great.

13. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

I just fixed mine too. cleaned the latch mechanism with brake cleaner and a parts brush, than lubed it up with pedros extra dry chain lube(a dry teflon bike chain lube).

14. Flipper

Flipper Registered Member

Replaced alot of em. Not that expensive at dealer and always in stock (common part) Tried lube and recleaning but
    something on the catch finger always sticks after they get some miles on em. Easy to fix 2 bolts!

15. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Maybe your Blazer is made by Honda.. like they state on their commercials.. you never have to open the hood... :)
    heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy as Fonzie always said...

It's better to have it and not need it. Than to need it and not have it !

16. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

You know why you're not supposed to open the hood right? Probably because if you only drive a Honda, all you'll know about cars is how put gas in it. hahaha No really, its because if you did, you'd see what a tiny, wussy engine you have and possibly go blind. 350's and 454's make the pain go away.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

17. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

One more thing. Its too bad Happy Days was set before 1969. The Fonz definitely would have had a motorcycle AND a Blazer.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad