Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sticky Tach Needle

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 70Dave, Jul 8, 2001.

1. 70Dave

70Dave Registered Member

Finally hooked my tach[factory] to the MSD box. MSD said I didn't need any adapter, but I think it reads a little high. Haven't borrowed another tach to check yet. My real problem is the needle on the tach appears to stick around 2300 RPM. Won't go past 2500 and is slow to come down. Looks like it won't rotate freely in that area of the gauge. Has anyone had this problem? Any ideas on cleaning the gauge mechanism? Thanks.

2. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Early GM points tachs are notorious for not being accurate when triggered by an electronic ignition. A filter circuit will help that out.

When I put the Camaro tachometer into my Blazer, I didn't allow engough room between the lens and the needle and my tach needle was sticking. Check to see if your needle center is rubbing the IP lens.

3. 70Dave

70Dave Registered Member

Thanks for the info. Checked accuracy and found stock tach reads 100 RPM high through entire range. Good enough for me. Am going to try a shot of WD-40 on needle and see what happens.