Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sticky Throttle and High Idle

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by clubba68, Aug 28, 2003.

1. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

I have advanced timing on my truck (that's why it was backfiring before). Just found out yesterday because it started "dieseling" after I shut it off.
    A few days ago my idle went from 800rpm where I had it set up to about 1200rpm at idle. When I first turn the K5 on it will idle nicely at around 600 until it warms up to 800. It will sit at around 8-900 where I like it UNTIL I start driving. After I have moved with it in gear (manual transmission) and gotten it above 1200rpm, 1200 is as far down as it will go at idle (even after revving it to try to get it to drop back down to normal).
    Just last night I drove it over to my friend's shop (he's a mechanic) to do some work on it and have him check the loose steering. As soon as he drove it the accelerator started sticking. So I hopped in and gave it a spin and sure enough the accelerator is sticking and accelerating the car until you tap the pedal again. When the clutch is depressed the K5 will rev severely if you haven't hit the pedal to back it off. We sprayed the entire throttle linkage and around the carb with brake cleaner and then shot it with a little bit of WD-40 and re-routed some wires that looked like they may have been interferring with the linkage. We also adjusted the idle on the Carb. We thought we had it solved and I went on my merry way, and then the throttle stuck again and the idle went back to 1200rpm. I never figured out why. Looked at it again today and everything looks OK. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif I am not super mechanically inclined, but my friend is and it has him scratching his head /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif (or his chin as the case may be /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif).
    Thanks,
    Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

mine was just doing the same...I shot some super lube down from the top end...and got under the dash and depressed the pedal and shot some up the cable, I had one of those red straws on the spray can... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

And it fixed it right up? Did you have any problems with high idle or just sticky throttle?

4. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

just sticky, had to do it 3 times to get it loose...

5. naranja72

naranja72 1/2 ton status

Check the throttle cable, sometimes it can develop some frays which cause it to hang up. I replaced mine a few years ago because of this. Good luck.