Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sticky throttle cable??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shane74, Nov 23, 2004.

1. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

The throttle on my '87 burb is getting stuper stiff. I almost have to mash it just to get it going. You cannot press gently on the peddle and have it go. You have to press pretty hard and then the engine surges. I have about 1/4" play in the peddle and then it stiffens up pretty solid. I have read about this before on here, but I can't find anything in my searches. Anybody here run into the same problem? Besides the throttle cable, what else could it be? I disconnected the cabe at the throttle body and it SEEMS to be smooth, but I have nothing to compare it to. Any ideas? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

the one on my mini used to stick alot, i took it off and greased it, it worked for a while, but i ended up replacing it, there was to much rust inside it to continue using it., not shure if that helps any, but mine would stick open, nooooooo good at all, id have to puill over, hit the brake and let out the clutch in gear to stop it, bad news

3. Adub

Adub 1/2 ton status

I had the same problems with my 89 K5. The throttle cable curves and it cuts grooves into the plastic tube. I just relpaced it.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

How easy is it to turn the throttle linkage on the TBI?

If the throttle body linkage moves fine, I'd replace the cable.

5. 84mudmachine

84mudmachine 1/2 ton status

I replaced mine last weekend, it took about 5 min to do and $20 to buy from Autozone. Mine had a 1/4 play and was also hard to push. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    How easy is it to turn the throttle linkage on the TBI?

[/ QUOTE ]

The linkage itself is easy to turn. I noticed that the diaphram (operates off vaccum, no return spring) that the linkage return is hooked to is kind of stiff. The cable itself is also easy to push/pull once it's disconnected. It doesn't feel like it has resistance on anything. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I'll get a new cable from Autozone tomorrow and see what happens. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

you may have some kind of binding going on, if the cable moves easy with it off i wouldent buy a new one just yet, i couldent hardly move the one on the MINI when i took it off. I would have someone step on the gas while you look under the hood to see if you can see or hear anything

8. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Good point. Anybody know what the diaphram thing is? Or how it works?

9. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Good point. Anybody know what the diaphram thing is? Or how it works?

[/ QUOTE ]

cruise control servo