Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stiff a$$ gas pedal!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Nov 1, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

the gas pedal in my truck is stiff as hell..ive had 2 different carbs on it..and took one of the return springs out..no difference..so my guess is its the cable.any trick to getting these to free up..either that or ill switch the one from my blazer..the pedal lets up fine..its just that its so stiff you have to stand on the damn thing practicly to move it..and i cant make a smooth acceleration with it..its always jerky

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

WD-40?

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i dunn oive tryed that stuff on it and it didnt seem to help..

4. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

mine was sticking and would pop free when it felt like it...
    I tried pouring oil down from the carb side and letting it flow all night..but what did the trick was to oil the cable at the gas pedal, I would do this and it would work for a day or two then I would have to redo it...after about a week I shot some spray oil up the cable and its been fine...good luck..
    Oh, this was a new cable also... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I have the same problem, its been that way for 10+ years.
    I have oiled, wd-40, greased pivot points, nothing is a full fix just a week or two at a time. I bought a new cable but have yet to put it in.

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea..my dad told me to take it of and spray oil or lube down it and see how that goes..i gatta do something though its really bad!

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok i give!! how do you get the throttle cable of the gas pedal arm and of the firewall? it FEELS like on the pedal arm you push the two clips or something together and pull it out of the arm..but its not wokring so im thinking maybe not? and how does it come out fo the firewall??!!

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

anyone!? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

9. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Mine slide down into a slot (u shaped) bracket, was a pain...did you try putting the small tube on the spray can and lube from the bottom...

10. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok heres what i just did..took another one of my blazer and blubed the hell out of it from both sides..put that on..and lubed all the pivite points on the carb and on the pedal..its a tiny bit better..but its still way to jerky..it doesnt go down smooth..you push it and it will just let go and give way to much gas at once its driving me fricken nuts!! i just dont get it...my dads truck is a 79 for god sake and that pedal is perfect!

11. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

un hook the cable from the pedal and see how the pedal feels? could be the bushing in the pedal??

12. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ahh finally got that sucker..thanx for all the sugestions!!
    when my dad got home i studied his for a bit..put his return spring on my truck.and i noticed the pins thats the cable hooks to on the arms were in different locations and one was longer..i had 2..and his only had 1..so i put mine on the other one that looked closer ot his..and took it for a spin..WHAT A DIFFERENCE...so i tyred it then with the spring thats on my truck again..with the cable in the same spot..and its great..its almsot to sensetive now actually..but i love it..no more jerkin /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif so i dunno maybe i just needed to fricken move the cable..but least it made me take it out and lube it and everything /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

On the same note, Is it just me or do these cables seem way long, I have 2 "s-turns" in mine and every cable I get is the same. I just live with the firm pedal, is there a shorter cable one could get?

14. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i thought it was short at first..but i had never taken one out befor..but after i actually saw how it wounded around once befor it went through the firewall..yea..i would say it is a little to long than needed. i dunno if there are shorter ones to buy but i bet you could find something else to use..

15. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    ahh finally got that sucker..thanx for all the sugestions!!
    when my dad got home i studied his for a bit..put his return spring on my truck.and i noticed the pins thats the cable hooks to on the arms were in different locations and one was longer..i had 2..and his only had 1..so i put mine on the other one that looked closer ot his..and took it for a spin..WHAT A DIFFERENCE...so i tyred it then with the spring thats on my truck again..with the cable in the same spot..and its great..its almsot to sensetive now actually..but i love it..no more jerkin /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif so i dunno maybe i just needed to fricken move the cable..but least it made me take it out and lube it and everything /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you snap a pic of the spring and maybe use a screwdriver to point out the old location vs the new pin you used /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

sure! ill try and get one up tomorrow for ya!

17. jjlaughner

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. [ QUOTE ]
    sure! ill try and get one up tomorrow for ya!

[/ QUOTE ]

Family site reminder! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif