Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stiff gas pedal ?'s TBI Rebuild ?'s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kyle89K5, Nov 21, 2002.

1. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Stiff gas pedal ?\'s TBI Rebuild ?\'s

My 89 has always had a stiff pedel but here recently it's getting a little worse than what I'd call normal. At one pooint with my wife driving, she had to coast for about a mile because she couldn't press the gas pedel in at all.

I did a search and there are two modes of thought, cable is worn and should be replaced, Throttle body is worn and should be replaced. I wouldn't doubt either.

If the throttle body IS worn, is there anyone that you folks know of that can redo the sides of the throttle body, say with bushings to take the slop out? I'm not steady enough in my hands anymore to hold a drill.

Sorry for the long post.

TIA for your help.

KP

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: Stiff gas pedal ?\'s TBI Rebuild ?\'s

Considering that the original cable is 13+ years old, I would replace that first (I like to use silicone spray to lube it as well). I have seen many "stiff" pedals (both carb and TBI) that have been remedied by using a new cable.
    I would also suggest using a GM cable instead of an aftermarket. I tried an aftermarket cable once and was not impressed (ended up replacing it with a cable from the dealer).

It may not solve your problem, but it is cheap insurance and eliminates a source of possible problems.

The original on my 78 got real stiff in a short amount of time and getting on the highway one day the pedal got real stiff and I had to stomp on the pedal...........unforuneately the cable snapped and I had to crawl at idle 3 miles in the breakdown lane until the next exit.

I replaced the cable with an OEM one, and it now works smooth.

Hope you get it fixed, and let us know how you make out.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Cable fraying in the jacket could cause that so it would be the first thing I would look at.
    The bushing thing is nothing new. It's very common with carbs and the repair on the throttle body should be no different. A decent machine shop or a Carb shop should be able to handle it and I would recomend that they do it and not you unless you have a drill press. What a machine shop will do is use a long bit on a mill and make sure that everything is inline after inserting the bushings.

4. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Take off the air cleaner, and wiggle the throttle linkage on the TBI, see if the shaft through the TBI wiggles around in it's bore. If it does, it needs to be drilled and bushed.

5. 88k5blaza

88k5blaza Registered Member

theres also a rail that the throttle linkage rides on for the cruse control and sometimes it gets rusty and gets the linkage hung up so look at that and try oilin it and see it it loosens it up

6. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

just get the Holley replacement. sure, it's $320, but you can't replace 25 extra horses so fast and better fuel economy.