Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stiff lower back, any remedy ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Jan 16, 2005.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i damaged my lower back when i was like 17 or so, carrying engine block and 4 speed iron truck trans and such, ever since then i have bouts such as today where i cant put my shoes on even sometimes for several days, cant sit or move certain ways, sometimes it affects my neck and turning movements of it, what can i do to at least temporarily relax it so i can put shoes on and such ?

thanks for anything

2. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

prob a heating pad on it and maybe a damp towl. Also a nice massage from wife/gf... that's really relaxing most of the time. I have had a bad back since like around the age of 10, or at least that's when it all started.

3. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

See a doctor ya big dummy! :yikes:

4. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

visit a chiropractor( how ever you spell that) It has helped me alot. He gave me some streching (agian can't think to spell) exercises to do twice a day. It really does help that i do them. If i don't my hip gives me trouble in a few days. He also recommends biofreeze over some other sore mussle creams. With insurance i got it is only $10 a visit. If you got the insurance it is well worth it.

5. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

I second the chiropractor idea. I hurt my self wake boarding a few years ago.
    When ever I do something stupid and it acts up. I see them for a few times
    and do the streching. I"m as good as new.

6. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

have had bad luck w/ chiropractor... Of course that was an army one too so maybe that'd explain why :screwy:

7. mr_beer

mr_beer 1/2 ton status

I have one I see and he works wonders. Only charges me $35 cash or $40 with a check, he's been in the pen before for tax fraud:grin:

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

The best solution?

Start working on strengthening your stomach muscles. Strong abdominal muscles really help your lower back from taking the brunt of the load when carrying heavy objects or working while hunched/bent over, the reason beeing that the abs and lower back muscles work in conjuction, kind of like your biceps and triceps. If one of the two muscle groups is weak, the other has to pick up the slack. Sounds like your weak belly is forcing your back to work harder than it has to.

Take it from a guy who spends half his day hunched over pipe in a ditch.

9. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

For the time being there is a gel called ICY HOT. Works 24hr wonder on muscles pulls. You can also use Tiger Balm.

10. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

See a Chiropractor. However, make sure he takes x-rays before he starts manupulating your spine. Most do, but there are some old schoolers that don't. Chiropractors can work wonders no matter what MD's say. I hurt my back lifting weights and could actually feel the vertebrae protruding out of my back. After a few visits it was back in place and now I have no problems at all. After that don't lift engine blocks. :D

11. i8yrsuv

i8yrsuv 1/2 ton status

Pain the back !!!

If I lay around for a couple days by back starts to feel sore or if I dont work for a week or two it gets soft because I am not excercising it like I do when I am bucking lumber or lifting tools or things . What it is ....is my lower back muscles getting sloppy from not working as usual .One muscle get sprained then I favor the good one ....then ,the good one gets hurt from doing the work of 2 good muscles !! I swear it feels like my spine !!!! I went to the doctor and he gave me a cortisone shot and after that I never went back for any more back problems !!!! The KEY was ...The shot hurt more then the original pain ;I am not going back ever again !!!!!!
    That is what works for me ...!!:grin:

12. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Crunches to strengthen your abs, pushups to strengthen your abs, back and core. It really works.

13. i8yrsuv

i8yrsuv 1/2 ton status

I really dont think that all of the beer that I drank or all of the food I eat over the holidays is helping ..... a small bowling ball ????:confused:

cheers mate , Glyn

14. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

If you drink enough the pain will go away :D

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Every once in a while my lower back will lock up. Gets so stiff I can't move and puts me in extream pain. When it happens, it's a trip to the ER, and I'm down for a couple of weeks. Luckly, it hasn't happened for a couple of years. Mine is the mussels get so tight that it locks my back up. The give me a shot with a big (and I mean big) needle., put me on mussel relaxers and pain killers. Hope none of y'all have too go through it, cause it hurts like a mofo.

16. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Ding, ding, ding We have a winner:saweet: :haha: :haha: :haha:

John