Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stiff Ride... My back Hurts!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXsizeK5, Dec 17, 2001.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

My ride is tooo stiff!!!!! I have two Rs5000's in each front and 2 in each back one... and 1 horiz shock on each back axle, and 5in blocks 1 in adda leafs and lemme tell you, this thing is stiff!!!!! tell me would this make a noticible or BIG difference in my ride quality ona nd off road, i want a soft ride that will follow contours of terain and not have it be like jumpin over small ruts and stuff... im moving to tuff country rear springs.. and prolly change the rear setup to 1 vert shock es9000 or maybe keep the 2 setup and move to es9000 and keep the horiz rs5000. And put es9000's and keep dual shocks on each front, will i notice alot of improvement?

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn, 4.56's.
    In desperate need of a rebuild.
    Next- Eaton mech locker... Flows.

2. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

doubt it,
    your springs are too stiff so why do you want to change the shocks?

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

What do you mean im changing the rear setup to 6in springs... and changing the shocks...

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn, 4.56's.
    In desperate need of a rebuild.
    Next- Eaton mech locker... Flows.

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Tough County springs all around, shackle flip in the rear, and single shocks.

5. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

First off ditch all the shocks. A single shock at each wheel is plenty. Just don't use the Rancho 5000's they have a bad rep for being stiff. Mine are the ProComp 3000's and they ride great. That alone will soften your ride. Then get all greasable bushings for front and rear and make sure you don't over-tighten your spring bolts. You can ditch the block in favor of a 4"shackle flip and a 1" add-a-leaf form ORD.(It's actually a block but won't give you the bad characteristics of such a large one.)

<font color=blue>It's easier to teach a child than to fix an adult.</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/geltyone>Webshots Pics.</a>

6. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I think that everyone blams the shocks and springs.
    In alot of cases they are right but one of the main things that let your springs &amp; shocks work like they should is the spring bushings and sleves. Think of it this way, if you weld the springs to the frame do you think the will flex much....no.
    And if the springs can't flex are the shocks really doing what they should....no.
    Get some greaseable spring bushings from ORD and if you really want too, some springs. Try it and see what you think.
    Then, if it still isn't how you want it, go for the shocks.
    One shock is all you need. Just as a test, try jacking up your truck to see if the spring bolts turn with the springs. It may tell you if the bolts have rusted themselves to the sleeves.
    I have R5000 shocks (laim) but after going to the easy ride front springs and changing all the spring bushings &amp; bolts, I didn't need to change the shocks and no more back brace. [​IMG] just my .02

[​IMG]<font color=red>[/b]"Rid'in HigH in my K5"[​IMG]
    ....[​IMG]<font color=blue>[/b]"8" Lift -<font color=purple>38.5's"[​IMG]....