Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stiff Ride

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mrjay, Jul 30, 2002.

1. mrjay

mrjay Registered Member

I have a '86 K-5, 305/700r4/208/31x10.5's with the factory tow package. The stock suspension is uncomfortably stiff. Every little bump or expansion strip is felt. The only non-stock items on the suspension are (please don't laugh) Sears-brand lifetime shocks, duals on the front, singles on the back.

Am I just a wimp and this is normal for my Blazer? I'd appreciate any suggestions on this matter.

Thanks.

Jeep - Its what's for supper!

2. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I don't know anything about those shocks but unless the fronts are SPECIFICALLY valved for a dual setup this will cause it to ride rough. Loose one on each side of the front and it will help.

3. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I'll second that.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

To much shock on the front and to much air pressure in the tires /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Factory doubles were two soft shock. The point of this is to help prevent shock fade. A high valve shock is going to create more heat and airate the fluid faster. Most aftermarket shocks are valved to be run as a single per wheel. The reason GM did this is the front shocks have a very short amount of travel. to dampen to try to prevent bottom out they needed a pretty high rate shock. Hense the use of doubles.
    As for the tire pressure. Get some chalk and black construction paper. make a wide swap of chalk accross the tire and run across the paper...keep dropping the tire pressure till you get a full EVEN print of the tire. Most tires rated 35PSI in large sizes need to run about 30-32 PSI front and about 28-30 Rear. That's what I run in my 35's When I load it down you raise the pressure. When I was running BFG 32's on the one truck and 31's on the other I run 36front and 34 rear. the tires are ratted 50PSI max. at thos pressures they wear dead square across the tread.
    Most find that these trucks ride softer with a mild lift of 2-4 inches. My 75 that stands 7ft tall rides better than my wifes bone stock 79.
    BTW...it's a truck... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Is your vehicle sagging, especially in the rear? I doubt you'd notice this on expansion joints at 60mph, but if you have sag, look at the rear axle where the bump stops would or are making contact.

My truck was sagging two inches in the back, and although I didn't lean much in the corners, (good) speedbumps actually hurt. (my truck, not me lol)

It wasn't until I went to put in the add-a-leafs to bring the rear back to stock height, that I noticed the axle had been hitting the bump stops *constantly*. With the add-a-leafs, the truck rides *much* smoother over bumps.

6. mrjay

mrjay Registered Member

I'll air down and try that trick with the construction paper.

Thanks

Jeep - Its what's for supper.

7. mrjay

mrjay Registered Member

I hadn't though of that. How much space should I have between my bumpstops and springs?

Jeep - Its what's for supper.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My truck now has 3.5" of clearance between axle and bump stop. Before it would have been at most 2.5", probably more like 1.5". People might think its ridiculous to think thats the problem until they realize how little bumpstop clearance there is without more radically arched springs or blocks back there.

These (bumpstops) unbolt, so it is an easy thing to check. (unbolt and test drive) It was pretty obvious on mine though, the axle was nice and clean *only* where the bumpstops hit. Worn shocks would exacerbate the problem, but I had new shocks on as well. Now the shocks can actually work. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif