Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stiff Suspension

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by no1uknow, Nov 18, 2004.

1. no1uknow

no1uknow 1/2 ton status

I bought an 85 Jimmy with a 454 it has I believe a 6in. lift with 35/12.5/16.5 bfg m/t's it has dual shocks up front and singles in the back. I don't know what lift it has or what shocks (they are white with no letters or stickers rancho maybe?). The suspension is very stiff and I was wondering if there is something I can do to soften it or do I need to get a new one? I recently jumped it out in the dunes in Glamis and I broke the top shock mounts on both sides I didn't even notice til a few days later the truck still felt the same STIFF obviously the shocks werent doing much cuz they were barely even on. I feel if I was to take them off it wouldn't even make a difference. It still goes in a straight line if I let go the steering wheel. Anyone know why this is or what should I do? I have 3 steering stabalizing shocks if that makes any difference. any advice would be appreciated i'm all ears /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif.

2. sublmnl1990

sublmnl1990 1/2 ton status

I would repalce the springs and then go from there. That way you will know what you got. Go with a single shock in the front first (get new ones also) and then you can dial it in from there. I have always like skyjacker but alot of the guys on here like tuff country. Just dont get any bargin springs or rough country springs cause you wont accomplish any thing by doing that. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

3. no1uknow

no1uknow 1/2 ton status

So I should just get new springs or the whole lift kit? The back is stiff aswell, going down washboard roads that thing is rough as hell and if I step on it the back bounces around /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif.

4. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Go all the way around. It sounds as though you have some cheap lift kit (Pro comp, Superlift, Rough Country). A Tuff Country or BDS will ride much smoother. Tuff Country is less expensive. Get rid of the extra front shock. You only need one steering stabilizer, though it won't effect the way the truck rides if you have three.

John

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

You're airing it out in Glamis and nobody told ya to get some real shocks??????????

/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

What do the springs look like? Are they tapered at the end or squared off? Are the leaves really, really thick or semi thin? If they ain't tapered and are really thick, get new springs.

But, you need to invest in some real shocks if you plan on hanging with those Glamis boys. Dump those crap cans you have on there and at least step up to some upper level Bilsteins. Of course if you decided to change out springs, then this will mess up your shock valving also.

Suspension is a science that is best to be educated about before making wholesale changes. This way, you will understand exactly what you need to do without wasting a whole bunch of money.

6. no1uknow

no1uknow 1/2 ton status

The springs are tapered and they aint thin. And I know about the shocks I just thought I would really mess them up before I bought new ones I just don't know which ones are best for what I use it for. I Dune it most of the time and take it to off road races other times and run some trails here and there. So for what I do what is the best lift and shocks? single shocks up front or double?

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Deavers and Kings................../forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Seriously, you need to decide how much money you want to spend. You can probably get by with a real good lift, say Superlift or BDS (I'm gonna try BDS) and step up to some Bilstein 7100s. While not cheap, it will probably be a hundred times better setup than what you have now.

8. no1uknow

no1uknow 1/2 ton status

I could probably manage tops like $1500 on shocks and lift maybe a we bit more cuz I still have to regear axles and buy lockers aswell.

9. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Deavers and Kings................../forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Seriously, you need to decide how much money you want to spend. You can probably get by with a real good lift, say Superlift or BDS (I'm gonna try BDS) and step up to some Bilstein 7100s. While not cheap, it will probably be a hundred times better setup than what you have now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like what he said. The Deaver - King combo if you can afford it but if not go with the BDS - Bilstein.

The BDS come with a lifetime, no fine print warranty. You break em they replace em. Free, no questions asked. And they ride great.

If your jumping and racing though I say you should spend the extra money on the lift/shocks and get the good stuff. Even if it means putting off the other stuff for a bit longer. That kind of off-roading is probably the most demanding of quality parts designed specifically for the job. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Hope that helps some.

10. no1uknow

no1uknow 1/2 ton status

I just double checked and the rear springs aren't tapered just the front. What would it cost to put something decent in there I.E. Deaver Kings or Bds and Bilsteins? Any ballpark figures? The gearing is 3.73 so I guess it can wait and lockers can too.

11. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

The deaver king combo you would most likely have to call to get estimates on. As far as the deavers go they are custom built for your application. I believe I heard something along the lines of around $700 for front springs. Then you would buy the appropriate shocks to match your custom springs. Not to sure on the shock price though. Maybe $200 a corner.

The BDS springs I believe you can get quite a bit cheaper at around $300 for a set up front. And the bilsteins would be around $100 each (correct me if I'm wrong)

Those are my ballpark figures lol.

12. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

I just noticed as well that you run a 454. I would almost certainly go with the deavers then. They will make you a spring that will be much better than you will get from just a generic lift spring. The BDS will not be matched to your set-up very well at all IMO.

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Deavers, you are looking at anywhere from just over $500 to over $600 for a pair of springs.

As for King shocks, for what I'm getting (2.5 twin-tube bypass) the last price I spied was $500 a shock. You could save a boatload of money there though, I'm just shooting for massive overkill. For a great shock for this type of stuff, you can spend anywhere from $100 on up a piece, depends on how much you want to spend.

14. no1uknow

no1uknow 1/2 ton status

I think I'll go with the deavers but them king shocks aren't in my budget just now. who makes a good shock for around 250 a piece and what type? Also should I just use one or two?

15. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am curious what your definintion of a stiff ride is? Can you compare it to something stock for us? My reasons are because a K5 with a 454 should ride fairly decent(for a lifted sprung over truck anyway) but I guess if you have some really bad springs the extra couple hundred pounds don't make much of a difference. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

16. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

check the torque on the shakles. i dont remember what they are supose to be, but they may be too tight

also remember that you are driving a redneck cadillac, not a real cadillac.

17. no1uknow

no1uknow 1/2 ton status

My definition of stiff is that my truck goes through a pothole and the shocks don't even budge the whole truck goes up and down. Like I said when going down washboard the truck is uncontrollable at anything over maybe 35-40 the truck starts to bounce around. When my shock mounts broke the truck still felt the same if I were to take out the shocks all around I wouldn't be able to tell. I can run over a penny and feel it.

18. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    I think I'll go with the deavers but them king shocks aren't in my budget just now. who makes a good shock for around 250 a piece and what type? Also should I just use one or two?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can still get one hell of a shock for $250. Bilstein 7100's for starters, and I think some of the Fox lower end shocks are around that price. Getting high dawg blinging shocks like these, shocks that actually work, you only need one per corner.

19. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

id suggest tuff country i have a 4 inch tuff country lift and my k5 rides 100 times better than my freinds. he does have dual shocks and a 6 inch but its mainly cuz he has rough country and its really stiff. mine might also be soft cuz its about 5 years old!!! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif tuff country is really good though ck5 uses them on there k5