Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stiff suspension

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NEplainsman, Mar 6, 2005.

1. NEplainsman

NEplainsman Registered Member

this is my first post ,and my first 4WD,but I've been repairing vehicles for the last 16 years,so I'm not in the dark on the how to's,I built my truck from a bare cab and frame.but the question I have is the front end of my 65 K-10 is really stiff when compared to most of the trucks I've driven.the springs were re-arced and it has good shocks,but it rides like an old horse drawn buckboard,what gives? It's running a 350cid with SM420 tranny so the wieght is there,any and all sugggestions to soften it will be appreciated.:confused:

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Temporarily disconnect the front shocks and take it for a drive....

If the ride gets softer, you've got a shock issue. More likely, the ride will stay the same...indicating that you've got really stiff springs up front that need to be replaced with something softer.

3. NEplainsman

what are the options for springs in a 65 chev truck? I have had the shocks off and the ride did'nt soften much.thanks for the reply

4. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

How many leafs are inthe spring pack? Not to say re-arching a spring is bad but from my experience it makes them stiffer. Are they stock height springs.

Once you weed out a shock problem I would consider a new set of springs. Are you wanting to lif tit? Keep it stock?

5. NEplainsman

there's five leafs in the spring pack,i like the stock look,it's a little higher than the new trucks,so I'm keepin it factory,this truck has been an adventure after building/driving hot rods till now.but I have driven places I used to hike into,and when a guy gets a little older that makes all the difference.:laugh: