Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stiff throttle TBI

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazenwhip, Apr 30, 2005.

1. blazenwhip

blazenwhip 1/2 ton status

My throttle is stiff on my TBI. I have to push more than what feels normal. I've disconnected the throttle cable and it moves freely with no resistance. I'm thinking the problem lies with the tension springs on the TBI itself.
    It's dangerous on the trail when i need to give it just a little gas. Right now it's too much gas at once. It's like it makes the truck overshoot an obstical that i need to go over nice and slow.
    Any suggestions, ideas or comments?

2. Bob87Burb

Bob87Burb 1/2 ton status

Mine is the same way. I lubed the cable, took off the bracket for the gas pedal and cleaned that up and lubed it, and finally swapped out TBI units. I even sprayed the throttle shaft on the new unit, and it still feels the same. I don't trail the truck, but I know what you mean about just wanting a little gas, and getting a lot. In my case, I think it's just the way it's set up. My buddy's pickup feels the same as mine too. Maybe someone makes lighter springs, or the stock ones could be modfied to be lighter?

In your case, have you checked the bores to make sure they're clean? Sometimes crap builds up there, causing the plates to stick a little.

3. blazenwhip

I've done all that you have done too. Thanks for your input.

4. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

New cable...

A groove wears in the cable. The friction is only high when there is tension on the cable and it sits down in that groove and wears on the casing instead of the teflon liner. You can prolong its life by twisting the cable so it wears on another surface but it's a bandaid fix.

5. ktedesco

ktedesco 1/2 ton status

My throttle is the exact same way. It is extremely annoying!! I also tried all the lube tricks, didn't work. If someone tries a new cable, post up with the outcome.

6. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 1/2 ton status

same thing with the last to chevys i had, my blazer and c10, sounds like a common problem with out a common fix :confused:

if anyone figures out how to fix it completely post it up im interested to see how ya did it.

7. CyberSniper

That's some funny sh¡t right there.

I told you what the likely problem is.

If you don't believe me, have a monkey (or your Mom) pull on the throttle body end of the cable (with the cable unhooked from the throttle body, duh) while you operate the accelerator and you'll notice it behaves the same.

It'd also be a good time to see if the throttle body is wore out around the throttle shaft. If it is, it'll cause binding and a wicked vacuum leak.

8. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

You need a new cable. $15 from Autozone and 10 min. to install it. I had the exact same prob. w/ my '87 burb. A new cable fixed it. They wear a groove inside the sleeve and start to fray over time.

9. blazenwhip

that is funny. I'm still laughing!
    Thanks. I'll try it in the morning.

10. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

they sell them at autozone? i've got the same problem, i think i'll give it a try.
    tho i think my truck's got the same problem with the TV cable. if i disconnect the TV cable from the TBI, the pedal is much easier to push. if the throttle cable doesnt fix it i'd try replacing the TV cable.

11. blazenwhip

It worked!

Holy Crap! It worked! A couple of twists and whammo! It feels like a new truck again. Thanks man!

12. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

cool :waytogo:

did you just twist the cable so its riding on a new spot?

13. Bigg R

Bigg R Registered Member

You can get a carburetor spring kit in the HELP section of most part stores and find one that is slightly weaker than the TBI spring,hook it from your CC shaft to the throttle/TV cable bracket(should be a hole on right side..facing engine). This will make the throttle easier to operate till you can get a new cable!

14. blazenwhip

yup. the outer black part that the cable travels thru. I twisted it about 180 degrees.

15. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

just came back from autozone, dont have it. they never have anything like this at my local stores, maybe your area is different.

guess i'll try twisting the cable. i was gonna do this in the first place but its so stiff i figured i'd just replaced it, owell

16. CyberSniper

OE cables don't cost much more from the stealership and will last a lot longer. I've ruined quite a few of the cheap auto parts store ones.

17. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

ya, i dont like going to the dealers around here. when i tell them i need parts for an 89, they give me funny looks. they think 90's vehicles are old.

anyhow, i went to autozone.com and looked up the part on thier website.sure enough, they had it. infact, they were the only autozone in my area that had one in stock. so after calling to confirm, i had to drive back across town to pick up the part. stupid parts counter people. from now on im getting all my part numbers online then going to the store.

oh yea, throttle works awesome now. i couldnt believe it helped that much since the old one slides so easily. definatly reccomend it to anyone who has the stiff throttle TBI blues

18. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

I have a 90 K-5 that I think has the same problem but I want to say that when I depress the accelerator slightly it seems to hesitate until I depress the throttle harder then it seems to get fuel and run ok. I’ll try replacing the cable and see what happens. Ant thoughts on this?

19. gambit420s

gambit420s 1/2 ton status

this is the only way to go for any part. you must find and verify your own part ##s the wal-mart/mcd's culture we live in has allowed pride in ones job to be forgotten, most of your average commercial parts houses will hire the least expensive person, the knowledge that seperates a good parts man from a mcd's cashier is not valued by the management of these corporations, good people cost money, and most people are not willing to pay more for a part to have it found by a qualified person, assuming that a computer system can be omnipotent and will always ask the right questions. there is no replacement for knowledge, experience, and pride, it is a vicious circle, you buy things that are cheap and soon your job goes to someone that is willing to work for less.
    you have to pay more for someone to give a ****.

just my $0.02

20. blackls1z

blackls1z Registered Member

Looks like I'm going to have to replace my cable because its doing the same exact thing. I'm guessing its not very hard to replace? What do you have to do to get that thing out of there?

Colin