Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stiffening Cap Question.

Discussion in 'Audio' started by swampblazer, Aug 14, 2003.

1. swampblazer

swampblazer Registered Member

my question is when i have it installed and i also have a amp cutoffswitch inline with my remote wire can it still function as a regulat cutoff? i believeit can but im not sure...
    thanx

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm not quite sure I understand the question yet....

But a stiffening cap WILL continue to hold a BIG charge even after the battery is disconnected from it. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

3. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

From what I understand, he has a cut off switch inline with the remote turn on lead. He want's to know if the cut off switch would still work with a cap installed with the amp.

The answer he's looking for is YES.

The amplifier will turn on and off just as before. Voltage is still going up to the amp with or without a capacitor. The remote turn on lead supplies 12v to a different circuit inside the amp which basically acts as a relay to turn on the rest of the amplifier.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Cutoff switches for the remote turn-on leads? If that's true he's a man after my own heart! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

When I did Stompers system. I made a little switch panel for the 4 amps so that I could turn each amp "on" or "off" whenever I wanted. It made it really easy to doublecheck my crossover wiring (am I getting the right sounds from the correct speakers?) as well as making the level-setting easier.

The really fun part is being able to play "only" subs for people. My theory is that MOST people think that bass is a much BROADER range of frequencies than it really is..... when they hear what 20 - 85Hz sounds like, it's kind of like "WOW, so THAT'S bass!! Where's the rest of the stuff that makes the system POUND???!!!!"

That leads to a quick discussion on Mid-Basses (as I turn the amps on for my 6" drivers in the doors).....suddenly, they start hearing all the UPPER-BASS that they assumed subwoofers were responsible for..... the punchiness, the immediacy, even the upper harmonics of the bass drums.

It really helps people to understand that SUBS are not the complete story to building a powerful and satisfying system....

/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. swampblazer

swampblazer Registered Member

thanx guys i am sorry for not being very clear with my question but thanx i know this now
    i have susesfuly installed a RF punch 1.0 farad cap in my truck and its awesome and the sound is indeed clearer! and yes my cutoff switch still works!