Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

still 5 psi, horrible crank case clacking

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Oct 24, 2005.

?

What Should I do about my terminal motor (elaborate in the thread please)

1. Put some heavy oil in it, and drive it like I stole it.

11 vote(s)
    45.8%
  2. Put some heavy synthetic oil in it, and drive it like I stole it.

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  3. Save up for a rebuild.

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  4. Save up for a cheap crate motor

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

This really, truly does suck. I changed my fuel pump, thinking that it was causing gas to get into the crankcase hence causeing low pressure. Changed the oil and fired her up. still 5psi at idle and 35 at WOT. I crawled under the truck while it was running and here a Nasty sounding clattering coming from the oil pan.
    The motor only has 80 k miles on it.... I also might have noticed a little oil residue in my exhaust pipe. Whatever the case, I think its terminally ill

2. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

well, first things first don't run a suspectedly sick motor at WOT!
    Heck, I though my 350 was due for a rebuild 7 years ago, and was all set to tear it down. Nah, it keeps passing smog so that's good enough for me.

put some oil treatment in it, but don't run it hard. Just baby it til it blows

3. bobalob

bobalob 1/2 ton status

well ... umm...you could try dropping pan and looking for prob before spending money on a bunch of fluids :dunno:

4. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Either try my suggestion (with the ATF) or drop the pan and inspect the bearings and oil pump pickup.

5. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

I would look for a man on ebay that sells longblocks I think the name is coreman255 I just won an auction for an 87-95 remanufactured longblock that looks very very nice from the pics for $799 the only problem i have now is i gotta get a new oil pan timing cover flex plate because of the year (externally balanced on the flywheel smaller bolt pattern and one peice main seal) its gonna go in my 73 :D
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8008853683
    the shipping was really cheap too but i dont have to worry about that as im going to pick it up.

6. 78Suburban

About band aiding the motor:
    So would synthetic have a good change of giving me a little more life out of it? Or should I just use some conventional heavy weight oil? I noticed the auto parts store had some straight 30 wt..... would that be ok, or should I go with the 20w50? Will an oil filter reseal if I try to take it off and put it back on (have only driven it like 2 miles).......

About how much does it cost to rebuild a motor back to stock specs? I'm kinda toying with the idea of dropping a 283 in there, dunno......
    :bow:

7. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

if you buy a long block all you have to do is put all of your stuff on the new one you buy like pulleys alternator intake and carb headers and your pretty much done its easy and if it is a daily driver you will have it running sooner imo but building a motor can be expensive it really depends on what you want and what problems it has such as bad rods could cost a lot.

8. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

The fuel in the oil probably junked your bearings. I see it at work on the occasion.

Get 20/50 and a new filter. Filter is only like $2.

Don't use synthetic...you really want to put $30 in oil into something that could go in another couple of weeks?

9. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

just curious? does the nasty chatter from the oilpan only happen in gear?

10. 78Suburban

crawled under there to hear the clatter in park... I couldn't hear it too well any other way do to the stupid straightpipes.....

anybody wanna place bets on how many miles it makes it :rolleyes: Before KABOOM :eek1:

11. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

just a thought, since it happened to my truck. Pull the cover on your flywheel, and use a crow bar to rotate it. check if all the nuts (should be 15mm) on the front are tight.

12. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

i have a feeling it has way more than 80k miles on it, unless it was just beat to hell and not maintained, hell my parents truck has 165k on it, still pushing 45 psi, mine has 240k on it, still pushing 35psi, these are at idle pressures as well.

i dunno, something just doesn't add up, take off a valve cover with it idling and see if it shoots oil at ya.... :confused:

and one more thing,,,,i thought you were going to bed???[​IMG][​IMG]

13. 78Suburban

I eat lunch at college with the PO. I have a bad feeling that this could be the case, but I also am pretty sure it only has 80k on it... it had 50k on it from a sand factory before they bought it... Who knows how someone drives/maintains a truck that isn't theirs.. :doah:

14. 78Suburban

I need to go into CK5 rehab, this place is addicting... I always have to just read ONE MORE POST before sleeping. now its 12:30 and I must get up at 7:00. Wonderful :p:

15. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

uh, and by the little green light by your name, i see you're STILL awake and reading posts :D :haha:

16. 78Suburban

I leave the internet on all night, its sattelite internet (we cant get good phone line internet out here in the boonies)

any more ideas on the turd mobile yall??????????

17. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Run It....

18. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you're gonna blow one day but when that day will be depends on how you drive it. Like the boys said, WOT is a bad idea.
    It wont cost you a lot to drop the pan and check the bottom end bearings etc. Some engines run for ages with a knock and all the while she's running you can be saving for the rebuild or replacement motor. No need to spend out before you need to. Oil is cheap compared to engine parts so just keep it topped up for the time being and baby it along.

19. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

put some 20/50 and new filter in it and baby it... keep it under 3 grand....

20. 78Suburban

that's no fun :p: ...... I'll try....... Ineed to throw my old cheapo tach in there and try to have some self control........
    I guess It'll run me about 1000 for a rebuild huh?