Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Still cant figure out this vibration

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fireinthehole, Mar 8, 2004.

I lifted my Suburban 4", BDS all springs. I have tried everything I can think of to get rid of a vibration that starts around 60 mph. I had my driveshaft lengthened 2", the u-joints are new. The tires and rims are new, shocks, new. Pretty much everything is new. I tried flipping the transfer case spacers, didnt make it any better. I even turned the 4 degree shims around, that were put on by BDS, to rotate my rear pinon angle down, made it worse.
    Any other ideas? I have a 550 mile trip I have to make in it at the end of the month and it will be a long trip with that vibration, plus I dont want to throw a u-joint or something else.

Mat

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I even turned the 4 degree shims around, that were put on by BDS, to rotate my rear pinon angle down, made it worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Action-reaction. You found the source of the problem which is your pinion angle. If bringing the pinion down made it worse it sounds like it needs to go a bit farther the other way to make it better.

Rene

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

get a set of 6 degree shims for the rear pinion.. im willing to bet that fixes it..like rene said, if flipping the pinion angle made it worse, then the pinion angle needs to come UP higher than 4*...

3. I am thinking the same thing. I have been talking to Matt at BDS, and he is very helpful. He is frustrated that I am getting a vibration, and I emailed him some pics to see what he says. He also mentioned that I may have taller than a 4" lift. I mentioned that a few member here also have BDS 4" lifts and theirs were over 4. It is just a very annoying vibration at highway speeds.
    Thanks for the tips.

Mat

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Yeh i have a 4" BDS and it was something like 5.5". Got the shims on it the springs came w/ put the spacers under the frame, but no vibration, maybe your driveshaft is outta balance?

5. Driveshaft is good, just had it retubed and balanced last week. If I dont get rid of the vibration, the lift is coming off. I really dont want to, but I cant drive on the highway like that.

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

u sure its not an out of balance tire or out of round tire?

7. I hope the tires are good, their new. I did watched them being balanced and they all looked good. I am going to put my old tires and wheels back on though, to see if that changes anything, just to rule out the new wheels and tires. It just frustrates me as I lifted my last Suburban the same exact way, and got no vibrations.

Mat

8. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

my blazer is plagued by the vibration demons as well. but im always playing with the shims and leaf packs so once i get it worked out, i end up adding a leaf or something and start all over. i would try using a bigger shim like the other guys said.good luck!