Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

still can't start my 6.2L engine - any ideas? (df)

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by colbystephens, Mar 30, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

so i got everything hooked up and working properlly, finally, except for the engine itself. :( this is driving me crazy - particularly since i have to drive 1 hour each way to go work on my rig (read: expensive).

so here's the thing - i'm getting fuel to the injectors, but when i pull the fuel return line which goes back to the injectors, it doesn't have any fuel in it. i re-timed my fuel pump today, as i know it was wrong. i lined up the punch-type mark on the pump gear with the "0" on the outter cam gear. that's correct, right? if that's correct, that's the last thing i should be having a problem with. i cranked the starter for, over a number of trials, close to a minute, maybe a bit more, and still didn't have any fuel in the return line. I would have kept cranking, but over the last 3 days of attempted starts I've killed my brand new batteries, so I gotta get them charged. :( do you think i just need to keep cranking the engine, or is there something else causing a problem?

2. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Crack all of the fuel lines at the injectors and crank it until you have fuel leaking from all 8 connections. Tighten them up, make sure the glow plugs are hot, and fire her up!

Mike

3. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

hows your fuel filter? maybe its not letting enough through

4. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

ditto, be sure you crack the injector lines, you may even wanna pull the glow plugs out as well while you are cranking the motor over to get fuel to the injectors, as it = less compression and strain on the starter. You already killed the batteries? Wanna kill a starter too? Keep cranking on it for a minute straight! Try keeping it to 30 sec. max and a few minutes apart, especially with the glow plugs in.

5. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

i killed the batteries b/c i've been tinkering and trying to figure this out for the last five days. :) all the suggestions you've provided have been taken - but i don't have any fuel at the return lines. i'm going to give it another shot tomorrow. thanks for the info!