Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

still can't start my 6.2L engine - any ideas?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Mar 30, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

so i got everything hooked up and working properlly, finally, except for the engine itself. :( this is driving me crazy - particularly since i have to drive 1 hour each way to go work on my rig (read: expensive).

so here's the thing - i'm getting fuel to the injectors, but when i pull the fuel return line which goes back to the injectors, it doesn't have any fuel in it. i re-timed my fuel pump today, as i know it was wrong. i lined up the punch-type mark on the pump gear with the "0" on the outter cam gear. that's correct, right? if that's correct, that's the last thing i should be having a problem with. i cranked the starter for, over a number of trials, close to a minute, maybe a bit more, and still didn't have any fuel in the return line. I would have kept cranking, but over the last 3 days of attempted starts I've killed my brand new batteries, so I gotta get them charged. :( do you think i just need to keep cranking the engine, or is there something else causing a problem?

2. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Obviously gotta be a fuel system issue, seeing as a diesel just needs air fuel and compression to run (I'm fairly sure you've got compression and air, hehe!)

However, I don't know the first thing about diesels, but a buddy of mine was working on his at my place a while back, and there is a little ditty about how to set the IP timing. It can be found here: http://www3.telus.net/gmc62td/6.2TD_swap.htm

I have no idea if that is useful at all, but good luck anyways!

3. bronderslev

bronderslev Registered Member

I know its sounds a bit strange but try to warm up your engine by placeing a eletric hot air fan in the engine bay fore a day or so... and then there soud be some lines there runs from injektor to injektor make sure they are new and thinht...

claus

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Or just plug in the block heater for a couple of hours before you try and start it. I don't think a fresh 6.2 at this time of year would need that though.

Rene

5. colbystephens

so i no longer have a block heater - the freeze plugs were replaced at the machine shop and they weren't able to get the type which plugs in. so, is the concensus that i simply haven't primed the fuel system properly? if so, i like that. it's easily solved.

6. colbystephens

7. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

sounds like it needs to be bled properly I have the manual on disk for the cucv's if need more info PM me:waytogo:

8. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

Might want to try using the battery in a running vehicle to get it started, instead of using your new batteries.

9. tRustyK5

Cranking speed is another 'essential' for a diesel to start. It has to be spinning fast enough that the intake charge gets real hot as it's compressed. Slow cranking will doom you to a 6.2 that won't start. Mine was a mofo to start right after the swap, which was about 75% to do with the starter I had at the time. I didn't know how much difference a good starter could make until I swapped in a new 28MT gear reduction unit.

Rene

10. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Make sure your glow plugs are doing their job. Even a "fresh" 6.2 won't light off without a little preheat. I helped a friend troubleshoot a no start condition on his 6.2 with a brand new powermaster starter and 2 new optima red tops. Believe me, it spun FAST. After messing with it for a long time, I finally checked the glow plugs. Every one of them was open. I installed new ones and it fired right off.

11. tRustyK5

He has 8 brand new "Quick heat" glow plugs...

Rene