Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

still got vibes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jonny-K5, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i did a homeade shackle flip and havent been able to get it to smooth out. i tried no shims, 2.5 shims and 5 deg. shims. i've also got my transfer case dropped an inch. with the 5 degree shims the driveshaft was 7 degrees at the axle and 12 at the TC. i know i need them within 2-3 degrees to eliminate the vibes, but i also heard that the max these u joints can run is like 13 or so. not sure if that one u joint or both combined. can someone give me some advice or clear up some of my info? i've done lots of searching and cant find the right info. I've since re
    flipped the shackle to get my vibes under control, so ive got major ass sag. i would go a by a CV shaft, but no funds for that mod at this time. sorry for the long post.

2. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

anyone got any ideas?

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Could be a worn slip yolk. Could also be that your slip yolk isnt in the transfercase enough, causing vibes as well.

Try this- Using 2 washers, try shimming the rear of the transfer case even MORE than it is now. It removed like 85% of the vibe I was still experiencing. It didnt remove it all, I still get residual vibes and a little binding. But at least, it works. I've got my CV now... well, as soon as I put it in!

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

This might help a little: http://www.echobit.com/cgi-bin/echobit/tipstrickstech-public.cgi?tipstrickstech=3

Also, block the tires on level ground so it cant roll and put the t-case in neutral. Then crawl up under the truck and try to wiggle the driveline at each end (front and rear) looking for loose u-joints/ slip yolk or bearings on the output shafts. all of these things will create vibration regardless of driveline geometry. Good luck.

5. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

thanks for the link borregok5, that cleared up some of my problems. i dont think its worn out parts causs i have it back to stock and it is smooth as silk. i'll try more shimming the case and axle next time i feel like messing with the rear susp.( been apart 4 times now)
    Pookster~ where did you get you CV? what kind did u go with and how much?

6. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

So how much lift are you getting?

Are you doing the home made shackle flip on top of 3" EZ rides, or on stock springs?

Also, is your rear driveshaft the stock length? As Pookster said, it could be the slip yoke causing the vib. Maybe when it's lifted it's not sliding in enough; or it may be worn out.

Thomas.

7. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

flip on stock springs .about 3-4" lift . i think its just the pinion not angled down enuf. i was worried about having it angled down too much and blowing u joints, thats why i reflipped it. i think the slipyoke is fine tho, it only gives vibes when i coast down the freeway, under load its not that bad.