Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Still have a saggy butt even with a zero rate

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Desert Rat, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Bought a set of your zero rates and installed them. I have 6 inch TC's up front and your shackle reversal and 2 inch TC's out back, all courtesy of ORD. But, I'm still sagging in the back even with the zero rate installed. Do you make a 2 inch zero rate? Solution?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

How much sag do you have left in the rear? If it is small you could make set of beefy extended shackles for the back. I wouldn't to to tall on them though. Maybe 1-1.5" max extension. This would net you .5-.75" lift and get a stronger shackle in place. You can bend the stock shackles if you wheel hard.
    I helped a buddy of mine make his extended shackles for his 56" rear spring swap and it wasn't to hard to do. Just some 1/4" flat stock, round tube that the bushings fit in, and a square support bar in the middle. Not hard at all.

Halrey

3. Hossbaby50

Here is a couple pics of the shackles we made.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Harley

4. Desert Rat

Looks like I need about an inch or so. I think I've seen extended rear shackles sold somwhere too, but I can't remember where.

5. Hossbaby50

Echobit used to sell them but they are defuncked. If you have the ability to fab I would make your own. I beleive on the local AZ guys here broke and Echobit shackle. An extended shackle needs to be beefy to help deal with the sideloads being put on it. The extension will create more leverage on the shackle.

Harley

6. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Summit sells lowering shackles. If these aren't the right length then just do a search there for 'lowering shackle'.

7. Desert Rat

Those might work since they would do the opposite since I have a shackle reversal from ORD on there. I'd rather do something with the springs given a choice though. Maybe I can have somebody fab up a 2 inch zero rate.

8. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

You could ditch the 2" springs and zero-rate and get 4" rears.

9. Desert Rat

The rears are brand new, but that is an option. What is irritating is that I am just about to have my new tranny finished and need to order new driveshafts. I'd hate to install the rear, then put longer springs on, and have to possibly lengthen the driveshaft.

10. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

One solution would be an AAL. Yeh you might lose a lil flex but you will gain 2" no matter what.

11. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

im just curious, where are you measuring to tell its sagging? are you just eyeing it? the front fender is cut high up than the rear. if you have stock bumpers, measure them to the ground. if not the front and back of the rocker panels works too. i know mine sits dead level, but if you look at it from across the street, it can look saggy in the rear fromn certain angles.

i've had my truck raised higher in the rear so both front and rear tires had the same amount of distance to the top of the fender, and i didnt like it. handled funny and looked like a stink bug. my .02

12. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Usually if we anticipate a heavier truck we go to at least a 3" spring but sometimes we just use the zero rates to make it up. I guess we guessed wrong on this one. I don't think you've even driven on the springs yet right? I could probably sell them pretty easy, so lets figure out a way to swap them for some 3 or 4" springs.

Hate to say this but if you have trouble getting though on the phone, try early afternoons later in the week and we'll sort it out.

13. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

I am in CA (southern though), and looking to get some rear 2" tough country's. I have no idea if these would work on my '72 or not, but I would guess Stehen does. Then you could get some bigger springs, and everyone would be happy :D

Assuming they would work, if it makes things easier and the price is reasonable, I would love to take these springs of someone's hands (stephen's or desert rat's). Just trying to figure out some options to help everyone out. PM me if you are interested.

14. Desert Rat

I'm thinking the 3" might be the way to go from ORD again and I could sell the 2" ones to Mr. Blasto or somebody. I measured from the body crease that runs front to back before I put the zero rates one and it was about an inch lower in the rear. I haven't measured since I put the zero rates on but looking at it on the rack at the tranny shop it still has a visible butt sag. I'll have to go and measure it again. I haven't driven it yet, it has only been towed to the tranny shop. I still have to load a full size spare onto the rear swing away tire carrier, and install the front winch. I figure that's kind of a draw there. If I swap in 3" springs, it shouldn't make too much of a difference in the driveshaft would it? Or maybe I can tell the driveshaft co. that I will be going slightly taller and they can err to the side of a little longer to compensate? Or maybe I should just tow it home, swap springs, get the driveshaft made, and then drive it back to the tranny shop for final adjustment.

15. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I am running 5.5" BDS springs up front on the D60 and the ORD 4" flip, 4" BDS springs, and a 1" zero rate and it looks like it sits level.

I do have a 38" spare and a bunch of tools in the back.

[​IMG]

16. Desert Rat

5.5 inches up front and a total of 8 inches in the rear? I was going to have a driveline shop make me a rear shaft and deliver it to the tranny shop. But, I don't want to have to lengthen it again later so the plan now is to tow it home, measure it again, swap in different springs if needed, then order up a HAD driveline. Had a chat with Jesse at HAD and I was impressed.

17. Desert Rat

Update: Got it towed back from the tranny shop and measured it. Sure enough, it is still an inch low in the back. So, I'll be ordering up another set of springs from ORD. I'm figuring I'll go with 4 inch springs. Then I will have the 6 inch up front with the extra inch from the D60 perches and the 8 total in the rear with the shackle reversal. Then I will have the option of slapping the zero rate back in if it is still too low. Mr_Blasto, let me know if you are interested before I put them up for sale in the For Sale forum. They won't be ready until the new ones come in from ORD and get swapped out though. It shouldn't be long though since I need to get the spring issue settled before I order up my HAD drivelines.

18. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

PM sent