Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

STILL Having 14Bolt Axle Seal Problems!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stoopalini, Mar 5, 2001.

1. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Both of my axle seals were leaking on my 14Bolt Full Float. This is the type that has the bearings built right into the Drum.

So I replace both seals with AutoZone specials but they were still leaking. So next, I installed a Speedi Sleeve Kit on both sides and replaced the seals again. This stopped the passenger leak, but the drivers side is still leaking.

So the next thing I do is get some NAPA seals ($9 a pop!) and replace the drivers side again. This time, after I pressed it down flush with the drum, I used the old seal to press it even further inside the drum (does this make sense?)

Anyway, I filled it up with 80/90 and took it for a ride. About 15 miles later, still no leak! I thought I finally got it --- but the next day when I woke up, there's that dreaded little puddle underneath the drum!

So, my next step is to swap the drums and see if the leak stays on the same side of the truck, or if it follows the drum over to the other side.

I just wanted to see if anyone has any other ideas for me? I'm kinda at a loss right now and could use a fresh perspective on my problem .............. anyone????

Thomas.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com>http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com</A>

2. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

My work truck, a crew cab had the same problem. After several failed attempts I started leaving the seal about 3/16 from going flush with the drum. This stopped mine from leaking. One other thing that might be getting you is how you are installing the drums. You have to be very careful with that heavy ass drum If you just slap it on you can be damaging the seal during installation. With that big drum it is easy to deform the seal.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I hate to tell you this, but, If you DO have a problem with the "little" groove where the seal spins on the spindle, you may need to take it to a welder, and I mean a REAL welder. Not those backyard, farm shop, etc. A REAL welder like you would find at machine shops. You would probably need to have them weld a small bead on the groove all the way around it. They would wait for it to cool off and then grind it or machine it to the smooth circumference it requires. Many machine shops, especially engine shops, do this operation on crankshafts to "rebuild" or "fix" the rod and main journals. The repair to the spindle would be very small since its only a small bead around the spindle, I would strongly suggest you find a certified machine shop and talk to them about this problem. Tell them about the welding done to crankshafts, etc. Your best bet if they can do it, would be to take the rear back out and deliver it to them. Just an idea. I dont see why it wont work since the crankshafts are welded ALL the time. A crankshaft is different and stronger material than a spindle, so this job can be done.

4. Stoopalini

Hey Wess,

If the groove was my problem, wouldn't the Speedi Sleeve resolve that for me?

Thanks Butch, If swapping drums doesn't help me, I'll definitely try pressing it in just shy of the edge of the drum.
    The only reason I didn't do this before was because I feared the seal would get pushed in the rest of the way causing the drum to loosen up on the road.

Thanks guys

Thomas.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com>http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com</A>

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I cant really say if the S.S. would be the fix or not. Did you put a dab of silicone or something on the inside of the sleeve before sliding it on? If not, you may have a little "space" between those two to allow some oil seepage. The oil could just work its way thru the sleeve and spindle since it dont have a good bond or seal with the silicone. This is my opinion. If the drum swap doesnt work, try the sleeves with some black silicone. Ask around about this since I am not sure if black would be right for high temperature that the spinning wheels, bearings, etc. make. If everything else fails, you may not have a choice but to get the spindles welded and ground down.

6. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>The seal does not go into the drum, it goes into the hub which is a seperate peice. Hammer out the studs and the hub lifts right off the drum. Here's a bad picture I snapped before I put the seal in one of my 14 ff hubs

[​IMG]

Is it possible that the seal is leaking on the hub side (red arrow) instead of the spindle side (blue arrow)? Mabye the part of the hub that the seal goes in is slightly enlarged causing oil to get past? Mabye the fit inside the hub is not tight enough causing the seal to spin in the hub and wear out? Also, i used a scrap peice of thick plywood to press in the seal evenly. Good luck!

[​IMG]

7. Stoopalini

Huh, I didn't think that my hub seperated from the drum?
    I just pressed the seal right into the drum itself.

I just read your post again and now I know what you mean. I have a 12 ton hydro press in my garage and I just left the hub on the drum. I thought it was easier than pounding out the studs.

Do you think this would cause the problem? I did the passenger's side the same way, so I figured I was ok leaving the hub and drum together.

I'll definitely try it seperated from the drum if you think it would help?

Thomas.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com>http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by stoopalini on 03/05/01 07:02 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

8. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

If the problem is the wear surface the sleeve should fix it. If the grove that was being covered with the sleeve is large they say to put some epoxy on it first to ensure a seal. I put some JB Weld on mine just to be sure.

Other things to check: 1. Bearing adjustment; 2. Vent for the differential.; 3. Direction of the lip on the seal (not trying to insult just have seen it more than once).

Hope this helps but I figure you've already got this stuff covered.

Smitty

9. Stoopalini

Hey Smitty, don't worry about trying to insult me, it'll take a lot more than that! [​IMG]

I don't know what you mean by bearing adjustment. I didn't know I could adjust them.
    I did check the vent hose and it's all clear.
    When I pressed the seals in, I had the seal end of the seal (if that makes sense) facing upwards.

This is the first time I have ever worked on a 3/4 ton chevy rear end, so if there are some very basic things I should know, please tell me.

................Besides, I once reinstalled a complete transmision and forgot to put the throwout (sp?) bearing in! [​IMG] I had to take it all back out [​IMG]

Thanks again guys,

Thomas.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --

10. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

I've done this speedy sleeve trick 8 years ago and still no leaks. leave the drums on the hubs. Get a new NAPA or GM seal. spread a thin coat of black permatex to the inside lip on the hub-not the seal. Drive the seal flush with the hub with a flat piece of wood. If you did not spread permatex on the spindle surface before you installed the sleeve, I would repeat that step. Be sure and install seal where the spring behind the rubber lip is out of site or down inside hub. Be sure to coat rubber seal with grease as to not burn surface in the first few miles. Make sure the bearings are not so old that there is play,(up and down when tightening spindle nut)

11. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Hey Stoop
    In my shop the owner uses Stemco seals.
    The seal comes with its own sleeve, not paper thin like a speedi sleeve. But heavy enough that you need a 4lb hammer to drive it on.
    I don't know if Stemco makes seals that size but it would be worth checking out.
    Or get it welded and turned, If it's that bad.
    Most of the wheel seals I do is due to improper bearing preload. I use a torque wrench to do all of the hubs that I do.
    I generaly pull the bearings up tight while rotating the hub/drum. then I back the nut off and torque to 50 lb-ft, turning the drum until it stays on 50, back off and install keyway.
    14 bolt FF is an inboard drum assy. We have a few older trucks and trailers with inboard drums.
    We are finishing up the installation of a 99" 600hp 2050 lb-ft torque at 2800rpm Cat 3406E in the old mans first truck a 79 KW. this baby is gonna fly. The computer meets the stone age..Ok I'm rambling
    See ya

my truck's not dirty, it's earth tone paint

12. Stoopalini

The groove is not all that big. It was actually very small. You can see a pic of it http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com

13. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

"We are finishing up the installation of a 99" 600hp 2050 lb-ft torque at 2800rpm Cat 3406E in the old mans first truck a 79 KW. this baby is gonna fly. The computer meets the stone age.."

Man, i owuld like to drive that!!!! We had an 84 W900 KW that I dorve for about 6 months. It had a 425hp 3406 putting around 475+hp to the ground with a 13 speed behind it. Man that thing ran like a raped ape on crack! I pulle da 45ft Flat and hauled tubing. I used to put 60K on the deck and that Cat didn't even know that trailer was back there! I would hardly ever downshift if ever across 82 in Ohio.
    I wish CAt would come out with a ight duty engine and put all these other companys in there places!

Unfortunately we just sold that KW..... :( it was a sad day!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>