Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Still having driveline problems.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BrownK5, Jan 12, 2006.

1. BrownK5

BrownK5 Registered Member

Ive been breaking u joints alot lately because i just lifted my k5 6". so today i dropped the t case 1" and grinded my driveline so it has more clearance at the yoke . i also put in a new u joint near the t case yoke. it still sounds like something is going to break every time i take off. what should i do?

2. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You need to make sure your drive shaft operating angles are not exceeding a 3-degree difference between the yoke and drive shaft. You can buy an angle finder for only a few dollars. I have similar problem right now as well with my truck, but the problem is not so bad that it is breaking parts. The operating angle of my rear differential yoke and drive shaft is about 0-degrees because the rear lift blocks I am using where manufactured with a 4-degree angle, in order to correct any srive shaft angle problem, but the operating angle at the transmission yoke to drive shaft has a 5-degree difference, which is 2-degrees too much from the recommended max. The only problem this is causing is a small vibration at 15 and 35 MPH. I will probably lower my transfer case to about a 1-inch, and this should solve the problem.

3. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Google on " drive line phasing " " and pinion angle", you can learn all about it.>

4. wforicv

wforicv 1/2 ton status

5. chevyjeff

chevyjeff 1/2 ton status

also check your rear tranny mount. mine was broken and i never noticed until i put the lift on. I had a major clunk every time i took off. You also need to verify that your driveshafts are not too short now w/ a 6" lift.