Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

still having egr trouble

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BayouBlazer88, Sep 8, 2002.

1. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

Ok I pulled off the egr valve and cleaned it up good. then put it back on and checked to see if there was vacuum coming from the solenoid. how do i check the vacuum? just put my finger over the hose and see if it sucks? will it be easily noticeable if it is sucking? because i changed the solenoid with a new one and i still dont feel much vacuum. also when the engine revs i dont feel the diaphram moving. so is my valve bad?

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I don't think you would feel vacuum from a selonoid, I thought vacuum activated the selonoid. My EGR went south awhile back. I cut the vac line and put a plug into the tube and the engine runs great. Might help you diagnose your problem.

3. BayouBlazer88

so your saying I should just plug up the entire egr system? will the check engine light still come on? also, i noticed there are 2 lines coming out of the back egr solenoid. one goes to the valve. one is just open, what is it for?

4. BayouBlazer88

forgot to mention, when i cleaned off the egr valve i used STP throttle body cleaner then read in the repair manual that this will damage the diaphram. so is my valve definitely bad now?

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

You say one is just open........ meaning it's not capped or plugged? Is it sucking air? If so, that'd be your problem, so plug it up. I'm only saying to plug the EGR so you can diagnose the problem. Mines still plugged (after 3 years /forums/images/icons/blush.gif) cos I'm lazy and I don't wanna go buy another one. Some people say you can test an EGR, others say it can't be done. I don't think STP cleaner would damage it but I could be wrong.

6. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Testing the vacuum operated ones are easy. I just did one on a 4.3V6. I applied vacuum ($20 hand operated vaccuum pump)and the diaphram moves. However, removing the vacuum, the diaphragm did not return to normal. I added compressed air into the egr and it took 30lbs to make it return to normal. Bad Valve. Was getting stuck open causing the engine to run like crap.A vacuum gague helps too, it only costs about $30.

BlazerMan

7. BayouBlazer88

ok here's the deal with the solenoid, one side has 1 line going to the throttle body, the other side has 2 lines, 1 going to the egr valve and one just open, it doesnt have a lip so i'm not sure what goes there. i got a vacuum gauge from autozone and connected it to the solenoid while the engine was running and kept squeezing the trigger but it would just stay at zero. i'm not even sure if i put it on the right hole. this is my first time messing with the egr system so i dont have a clue how it works. thanks

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

The way I test the valces is I push in the diaphram, and hold my finger over the vacuum port. If the diaphram goes back down, there is a leak somewhere. Also the passages in your intake could be blocked. Did you try starting the engine with the valve off? If the passages are blocked, you shouldn't be able to tell a difference in the sound of the engine. If the passages are ok, then the engine will sound like an air compressor.