Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Still having steering problems too tight, wheel returns to center real fast

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Silver84k5, May 13, 2003.

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

I put in my Rebuilt box from WTO, i put the pump in aswell, as you may know, UPS screwed my pump over, so i took the parts that Matt modified from the old pump and put them in another pump, i got everything hooked up now.... I thought that when i got all this stuff together that i would be able to turn my wheels in my driveway at a dead stop, but when i try to do this the steering wheel will turn a little bit and stop, then the belt will start squeeking and the tires wont move. The belt is brand new, and tight...

Also when im driving, the steering wheel feels real tight, and returns to center real quick, Also itll shake as i go down the road, as in itll move about an inch back and forth etc. etc. all the way down the road.

Does anyone have any help for me? i know there are a lot of probs Stuffed into one post, Let me know if i should make a couple diff posts..... Thx a lot

2. Silver84k5

ttt....

3. Silver84k5

somone please throw me a bone here. im stuck

4. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Is your front end tight as in you lift up the front tires and shake it to feel for loosness in the tie rods? Do you have any sort of steering stabilizers for them 39's? /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

shoot Matt a line...he will be able to help you out...it sounds like something is sticking in the box...

Chris

6. Silver84k5

i dont want a stabilizer, havent really needed one since i put the washers in the kingpins, the TRE's & DRE's are new.

7. Silver84k5

yea guess i have to, didnt really want to bother him though. Thx.

8. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I thought that when i got all this stuff together that i would be able to turn my wheels in my driveway at a dead stop,(*yes you should be able too*) but when i try to do this the steering wheel will turn a little bit and stop, then the belt will start squeeking and the tires wont move. The belt is brand new, and tight...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like the pump isn't pumping. Sure the belts tight enough ? You might have to redo/replace the p.s. pump again.

[ QUOTE ]
    Also when im driving, the steering wheel feels real tight, and returns to center real quick,

[/ QUOTE ]
    Again, sounds like it could be the pump, or something in that order.

[ QUOTE ]
    Also itll shake as i go down the road,

[/ QUOTE ]
    That could be a tire shimmy, tires slightly out-of-round. With the p.s. not functioning properly, the shimmy could be felt.

How's the fluid look ? Foamy, meaning there is air getting into the system somewhere, or was imprperly bled. Air compresses, fluid does not.
    Any leaks ?
    Front end off the ground, engine off. Turn the wheels lock to lock, How does it feel ? Any binding ? Tight ?

9. Silver84k5

when i get home from work ill check all those things and get back to ya thx.

10. DaveCowley

DaveCowley 1/2 ton status

Sounds like your lines to your ram might need to be swapped. I only know this from the little research that I have done on hydro assist but worth a try.

Dave Cowley

11. Silver84k5

dont have the ram on yet, And if they were hooked up backwards the truck wouldnt be driveable, atleast you couldnt steer whatsoever ;P