Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

STILL HAVING TIE ROD PROBLEMS!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rh88k5, Sep 16, 2002.

1. rh88k5

rh88k5 Registered Member

I'm trying to tighten up my 88's frontend before I get new tires, but I cant get tie rods for it! My rods have a short passenger side and long (52 inch) driverside, 2 pieces plus an adjustment sleeve, everyone tries to sell me a 3 piece assembly. I've been told my blazer is not really a k5, but a "V-10" instead, can anybody "steer" me in the right direction to get this part?

2. codeman

codeman Registered Member

GM changed the name from K5 to V10(only on the VIN #). They are still K5's though. This topic has been discussed numerous times here. As for the tie rod, LMC truck has what you are looking for. People around here told me to get a heavy duty aftermarket one. That is my suggestion.

3. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

If you take your truck off road at all dont even fool with replacing the stock pieces,just get a Rockstomper rock rod.You wont bend this tie rod and it even comes with new ends. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Well, what you describe is the same as whats on my 77. Ask for one for a 1977 K5 and take a look at what they bring out. Autozone and Advance auto both keep them in stock.

Depdog

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I need to get me one of them! jekbrown just put the rockstomper setup on his 1 ton conversion. It makes the stock stuff look like a toothpick! I couldn't talk him into letting me jack up his truck using his brand new rockrod though! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Iv run into rocks with it and slipped off of rocks and come down on it hard with only scratches to show for it /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Its still as straight as the day I got it /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

You can swap to the older style if you want to, but you have to buy the tie rod and both rod ends. If you just want to replace with stuff like you already have, go to a different parts counter or start varying stuff a little. For example, tell them it's an 89 or tell them it's a Suburban until the right parts start showing up. Some of these computer databases get the model year change stuff wrong and sometimes the factory did things a little different. There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to get the parts you need.

8. rh88k5

rh88k5 Registered Member

THANKS TO EVERYONE!!