Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

still looking for 4x4 shift indicator(pointer)

Discussion in 'Parts & Trucks Wanted' started by big d, May 2, 2002.

1. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

im still looking for the full time 4-wheel drive shift indicator. it was used on three different t-cases from 1969-79. it forms an arrow similar to the regular steering column pointer/indicator. it fastened under the shifter knob by a collar (held by a set screw) and ran down the stick over the boot to point to gears (hi, lo loc, etc. on the aluminum plate) held under the boot retainer. this may have been an option/accessorey i dont know. chevy put on some and not on others. why they had the gear plate and not the pointer, i dont know. pics of the pointer can be seen in chilton's blazer/jimmy 1969-82 manual on pages 186 & 187. also in chevy service shop manuals for roughly the same time period. thanks.

2. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

never heard of it but it sounds cool /forums/images/icons/smile.gif show us some pics

mike

3. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

sorry dude, i dont have the ability to send pics, but if you give me your address, ill send you photo copies of the pages from my chilton's manual, and maybe you could send pics into ck5. sound ok, ? email me and let me know. btw, i have contacted some tranny/t-case rebuild shops, and they know what im talking about.

4. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

The ole saying is true learn something new every day i have never seen or heard of the pointer till now and i cant tell you how many 4x4 iv parted out over the last 8 years since i got into this "sport" im going to check my various manuals just to see it cause seeing is believing :-) lol right ???

5. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

if you take your time, you should find it. i went to two different gm garages and they showed it in there shop manuals but no part number was listed. it had almost the same exact pic/drawing as my chilton's manual. i just dont understand gm's use of the aluminum gear plate down by the boot without the pointer ? kind of makes the plate pointless and useless , right ? if you look at alot of the different years with full time 4x4, you'll see the empty space on the boot where that plate was designed to be. just dont understand why the pointer was not installed on all vehicles. thanks for the reply. let me know please if you come across it in your books, better yet, if run across one in a salvage yard !