Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Still need help with my axle, can anyone offer it..

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Krase, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Krase

Krase Registered Member

I am still trying to get my rear axle fixed, and of course we just got 7 inches of snow today, and no truck. But anyway back to the question the rear drive shaft is shot, i am either gonna replace the factory 10 bolt or go to 12 bolt depending on availablity, my question is this, every place i try to check on it asks which spline count i have (20 or 28 cant remember the number) or a 30 spline. which is the factory option-i have the overdrive auto on my 88. also will i need anything different if i go to the 12 bolt as long as i stay later model chevy. ( i.e. new driveshaft or different ujoints on one end.) Sorry to ask questions but i could not find answer on searches. if someone could help me or tell if there is a factory sheet somewhere on the rig that has theose codes i would app it.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Why would the yards need to know spline count? You'd be buying the whole diff right? No matter, in 88 the 10 bolts were still 28 spline. 89 was the first year for 30 spline 10 bolts.

Last year for truck 12 bolts was 81 or so. My 81 Jimmy came with a 12 bolt from the factory...

You may have a small issue with the drive shaft not bolting up to a 12 bolt. I believe the yoke on the 12 is smaller than a 10 bolt yoke (Go figure...)

At any rate hybrid U-joints are out there to solve those types of problems if you run into that.

Any 10 bolt or 12 bolt rear from a 73-87 K series truck (up to 91 in Subs and K5's) will bolt up just fine.

Rene

3. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

yea what Rene said + the special adapter ujoints can be found at your local napa dealer or drive shaft speciality shop about 25.00 installed but keep all the old stuf as they will need it to match it up
    R

4. Robbie6987

Robbie6987 1/2 ton status

You can also swap ur old 10 bolt yoke to the 12 bolt just have to put a 10 blt seal in the 12.