Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

STILL Need serious help with E-Bay A$$Hole!!!!! W/ Pics!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Batmanjr, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Here is my delema:
    I recently bought a flywheel off E-bay, it was advertised as a 454 flywheel...
    I went to go pick it up and it looks just like the one I already have from a 350! The bolt pattern is the only difference! Here is what I got,
    The 6 bolt pattern in the center are 3" exactly center to center accross.
    It is 168 tooth, 14" dia, fits a 12-11 inch clutch..... I will post pictures as soon as I find my Digital camera!
    I called Chevy and the counter guy supposedly ran the cast number and said it was a 350/305 flywheel! The guy who sold it to me said he's a moron and something about counterweights! The bottom line is, I NEED to know if this is for a 454, because if it's not, the guy won't give me my money back unless I prove him otherwise, or pay shipping which voids the deal! Crap! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Please help with any info you can!!!!
    OH, here are all the numbers on the flywheel:
    14091599N (Cast Number)
    599 (On Front)
    B (On Back)
    220S (On Back)
    GM4 (On Back)
    Here are the pictures I promised:
    ???454??? Flywheel
    In the pictures of the flywheels side by side, the one on the left is a 350, the one on the right is the questionable 454! You can see the counterweight thing on the back, hope these help, sorry but it's a cheap camera!

I see the counterweight section, but how does it make it a 454 flywheel?
    Thanks for whoever can shine some light on this!

2. nevercomplete

nevercomplete 1/2 ton status

Re: Need serious help with E-Bay A$$Hole!!!!!

I suggest going to the dealership and have them run the #'s for you and print it out. That way you have the proof in hand.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: Need serious help with E-Bay A$$Hole!!!!! W/ Pics!!!!

Thats not the external balanced 454 flywheel. That is the 350 internal balanced one.

I have two of the 350 flywheels in my garage right now. The number casted on them are #8978456. I have two of these and the look exactly like your pics.

I had a 454 flywheel once but it was beat up. You could clearly see the external weights on that one. They were not a part of the casting. They were separate weights welded on to the flywheel.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I think I responded to another post you had going. I said in that post that the only engines that are externally balanced are SBC 400 and BBC 454. What I should have said was that the only early engines that were externally balanced were SBC 400 and BBC 454. When you get into the later SBC they are all externally balanced but only on the flyweel/flexplate end, the front is still nuetral balance. I do not know for sure if the flywheel at question is a 454 or not but I can tell you that it is 1986 or later if it is a SBC and 1991 or later if it is a BBC. GM changed the bolt circle to 3" starting in 1986 for SBC when they went to the one piece rear main seal, the same for the BBC but starting in 1991. I have a good friend at a chevy dealership I will call tomorrow and see if I can find out what you have for sure. I will also see if he can fax me the information so I can give it to you as proof. I hope I have shed a little light on the subject that may help you or others.

5. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I really appreciate anything you can get me, I need some solid proff because this guy is a comply east Texas Prick! I drove 4 hours to pick it up, and now it's not what I need or what he advertised, and he wants me to ship it back or drive it back on my cost so I can get my money back! He hasn't put a dime into this and I'm getting shafted royally! It costs me more to ship this boat anchor than I would get back in a refund anyways! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Again, Thanks for anything you can get me, Bruce!

6. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

There's no way thats a 454 flywheel. Your 350 flywheel has a bigger hole for the crank than the 454 flywheel. The newer style 350 flywheels had the smaller hole. There's no way that will fit a 454. Go take it to any engine shop and they will tell you the same thing or find a BBC crank yourself and test fit it. Tell the person that sold it it won't even fit on a BBC and doesn't have the external weights like it should. Like I said in your last post, sounds like you got ripped. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

BTW-
    Not that it would help much but here's a pic of my 454 flywheel:
    http://www.off-road.com/chevy/tech/454engine/pilotbearing.jpg

Also remember, you can get a new 454 flywheel for $109.

7. 4X4HIGH

In 1991 GM changed the bolt circle on the 454 engines to a 3" bolt circle as well. The 502's also use the 3" bolt circle.

8. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

Hey there Batman
    Sounds like you need to do a little crime fighting
    i can only recomend you find a shop autozone kragen etc that has a true 454 flywheel in stock and take your new boat anchor in and compare the 2 right there on the counter also autozone has a web site were you can find parts + gm parts direct for the year make and model of your engine
    hope it help and works out ok
    R
    if not then i say we have blazer fest at his house this coming year :-)
    aand you can always hit him with fraud wich is a felony and threaten to press charges if he dont give the $$ back

9. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Hey Batmanjr PM me and tell me where you bought this flywheel from. I live in East Texas and maybe I can go buy and persuade him a little. Don't mind helping you get your money back or the right flywheel out of the guy. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. 4X4HIGH

OK, I called my friend at the dealership today and he told me that the number you gave is not a valid number. I did some of my own checking as well and found out that what you appear to have is a 1986 or later 305/350 flywheel. There are only two part numbers for 454 flywheels and that number you gave is not either one of them. I also have a book with applications and pictures and your flywheel looks identical to the 305/350 picture.

11. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Here is what I know, The cast numbers and the part numbers are not the same! The cast number is not used by anyone for usefullness.... I need something out of a book with the numbers, or a good set of pictures for a 454 flywheel! Everything I have found leans towards teh 350/305 range.. The deal is that unless I come up with some hard evidance, this guy isn't going to pay for shipping, and with the amount I paid for it, it's not worth sending it back! I need hard evidence if I'm going to win this thing! More than likely, he didn't like the fact that his 454 flywheel didn't sell and he swaped in a 350 one to cover the costs! Then he can sell the real 454 again, and hopefully get more> OR he's just a complete a-hole! I need to write him an email tomorrow with the facts, so any pictures or paper work would be great... Thanks all!

12. dragricinMT

dragricinMT 1/2 ton status

Take it to a machine shop . They will be able to tell you what it fits. Sounds like this dumda$$ needss to be taught a lesson! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

13. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I have a flywheel at home, if noone has posted any by this afternoon I'll put a couple of good close ups on here this evening.

14. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Hope I'm not too late to be of help. I posted a couple of pics of a 454 manual trans flywheel on my Webshots page. Click on the link and look in the "Parts Pictures" album.

http://community.webshots.com/user/nvrenuf_4x4

15. thatK30guy

[​IMG]
    This is a pic from Dan's (KRAZIE87K5) site. The FW on the left is a brand new one and the one on the right is the beat up one I gave to him, free, which came from the '82 K30 I got from Shawn.

And yes, both of those are 454 cranks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

You mean both are flywheels

17. thatK30guy

No, I meant the holes fit the 454 cranks. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif