Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Still Overeating!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hi pinion, Mar 15, 2005.

1. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Still Overeating!!!! UPDATE****

Ok, so far i have changed the radiator, the radiator cap, the heater core, the thermostat , and the fan clutch. :crazy: WTF???? It is stil running hot and boiled over today in the over flow tank.

??????????????????

I have some questions, first, does anti freeze go "bad" ????? Because its the original anti freeze from when i bought it 1 year ago. I dont know how old the stuff was when i bought it. :confused:

Also, could a water pump go bad withought making noise and leaking everywhere? :confused: They tell me if it was bad, it would be leaking or making noise.

I cant figure it out. I just want it to go away. Help please. Any input is good input , later, Jacob

Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
  2. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

well, if the impellar in the water pump was destroyed somehow i guess it could be bad without hearing noise. they arent that expensive, so maybe its worth a shot

3. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Also when i say "overheat",,, it never got pegged, but 3/4 of the way hot. It never pegged on the red line,but still overflowing into the tank.

4. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Could be possible you have an air bubble in there somewhere... I was told to fill the Motor/Rad up with coolant, Through the Thermo housing... just throwing something out there.

5. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Has anyone ever heard of a broken or not working water pump , that diddnt either leak, or make noise???? :confused: Also, i went down and got new antifreeze, and i am doing a system flush on it as we speak.

6. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

How bout the hoses, are they old? Could be one of the trying to suck shut.

Any water in the oil...head gasket maybe?

If none of those or the water pump...I'm stumped.

7. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Had a S-10 that overheated for no evident reason. Was a blown head gasket. 4.3 V6.

I hate metric!!!

8. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Jacob, in the past I owned an auto repair shop and was a mechanic before that and I do remember seeing several water pump impeller failures. On several they broke loose from the shaft and on one dirty antifreeze and very high mileage had actually worn the impeller fins enough that it would overheat. Its rare but since you've replaced everything else its worth a shot. Im assuming the head gaskets are ok????

9. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

im so used to replacing my outboards impeller every year for safetys sake, im thinking it may be the problem. outboard impellers go a lot easier than sb's

10. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

The hoses look decent. Its only got 87 thou on the motor, i am stumped too. :confused:

11. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

dude if you put that stop leak crap in there there is a good chance you plugged somthing like a water passage up, i would do that flush, drive it around get it nice and hot witht he flush stuff in it and drain it and flush the whole system out with one of those kits from prestone, i have one in my truck and the mini and i liket hem alot, they work pretty good!!

12. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

[​IMG]looks like this

13. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I dont know how to check the head gaskets, if it is the head gaskets, im basically screwed. Ill have to take it to a shop for that, im ok at the older stuff, but, this is my furd e250 work van i need to use for work. It has all kinds of stuff you need to remove before you can even get to the head gasket.

Also, does the antifreeze ever get old???????? :confused:

I just took it out for around 1/2 hr, running the flush stuff in there with ONLY water and the cleaning solution. With No atifreeze, just like it says to do on the bottle, It got warm, just now on the drive , but diddnt overheat. :confused: Its got a damn mind of its own. Also after letting it sit for 5 minutes and idle in the driveway,, (to come in here and make a post) , i went outside and its running way below half on thetemp guage now.:confused:

Could it be the flush stuff really works? More help please . Theres a few questions in here i need answered. Thanks guys.

14. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

I read a post once where they replaced the hose with a new one and had overheating problems. It turned out that the old hose had a spring inside to keep it from collapsing and the new hose did not, so the hose would get sucked shut at higher rpm's. It would pop back out when you slow down so it was really hard to find the problem. Kind sound familiar? They ended up taking the spring out of the old hose and putting in the new one.
    I hope it's cheap fix like that for ya.

15. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

THATS WHAT I GOT!!!! :grin: Minus the fancy hoses and junk, i got the stuff in a boltle ( the smaller one) ,,,,,does this crap really work? I mean really, does it? If this does the trick i will be amazed.

More help please.

16. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i did the flush on the mini it worked pretty good, but i flush it out once a month anyway as i only run water in it

Also there is a old hot rodder trick from way back,
    Go to napa get some water soilable oil, and put half a cup in the water, it reduces the surface tension of the water, making it able to cool better

17. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Just a hose would be bad ass. :cool1: I wish it was just a hose, everyday the truck is down i loose money bigtime, and thats no good. How do you check the hose anyway? Mabey i can have my wife punch it while i look at the hose? :)

18. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Ok so,,,,,,,,,,,

GUYS, im going to let this thing sit and idle for another half hour, and see if it gets hot. If it dosent get hot,,, does it sound like a hose , or what?

AAAARRrrr,, dont you hate when you replace all this crap with new stuff,trying to fix the problem,,,, getting all exited thinking " Its going to be fixed this time " ,,, and then let down because it doesnt ? I dont know whats else to do, whats left? Hoses, and what else?

19. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

I think you would just pinch it.:dunno: It should be the lower hose, and if it has ribs in it, or if you can feel a spring, then it's probably ok. Ya kinda hope it dosent have one, dont ya:rotfl:

20. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

First look inside the radiator when the engine is idling, bubbles indicate a combustion leak from the head gasket. Also you can check the spark plugs, they will look very clean and have a greenish/whiteish soot or stain if the head gasket is leaking antifreeze into the exhaust port. A good shop can check this with pressure tester as well. You replaced the radiator with a new one right?

Antifreeze does get "old" or more accurately "contaminated" by rust, dirt and metal from wearing parts. It wont cause the engine to overheat though but will cause the all the metal parts to rust and corrode.

Was your antifreeze really rusty looking when you replaced the radiator?