Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Still thinking about H1 Bead locks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Call it a little dream, and not a really good reason to.

I keep envisioning having h1 beadlocks on my tow rig. Yes, I know they are heavy, but the run flats, the never having to go anywhere to get my wheels mounted, so on, so forth...

I want em. Thing is, they are so expensive if you need them "recentered".

is there any cheaper alternatives? I recall tonyp made them, but havent seen/heard from him in a long time.

Dually axle conversion perhaps?

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

The dually conversion makes the wheels a direct bolt up (that's what I'm doing).

As far as cost, it's probably cheaper to buy recentered wheels than to go for the dually conversion when you consider the cost of axles, gears, lockers, etc..

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

i assume your talking about swapping in a dually F/R axle.

Mine is the 92 IFS k2500- The beadlocks might acutally clear the front, but the rear would be a little close. (not to mention goofy looking).

I was thinking about the dually conversion kits- the 8 lug to 8 lug conversion, that basically move the wheel mount location out by around 4" (which should fit the h1 wheels perfectly). In terms of extra stress, there is of course extra lug stress but bearing stress should remain the same, since the wheel is in the same relative position as a stock wheel.

These conversion kits arent cheap either- 349 for a pair from JC whitney.

4. nvrenuf

Gotcha, didn't realize it was your ifs truck. I think the 8 lug to 8 lug spacers would be ok on the rear. I would be afraid of them on the front, I doubt the unit bearing thingy's would like them.

I'm swapping in dually hubs for my front but I'll also be using thick spacers for my rear. I got a set of 3.25" steel Arrowcraft spacers originally intended for a dually conversion that I will be using to even out my track width. :thumb:

I know spacers get a lot of flack but I think that stems from problems with the cheapo AutoZone type. I have no fear of the ones I got, they are way over built!

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've heard of people having like the really nice ones and converting to dually with them, breaking when towing a huge load. If you are converting to Dually with them I think its a real mistake. Using spacers for hummer wheels or just for a little more width is a different story. I agree about the IFS front, it could be a problem. Not to mention the stress on the ball joints.

6. nvrenuf

7. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[hijack on]why did u decide to go w/ spacers instead of srw hubs? is it cause it makes the rear a little wider than the frt?[hijack off]

8. nvrenuf

When I started my D70 project I intended to run it in SRW fashion so I had the housing narrowed 2.5" per side (just inboard of the spindle seal area) making it the same WMS as my old van style 14 bolt. When I decided to do the dually/Hummer rim thing I had already finished my disc brakes so I didn't want to change back to a full width housing.

The whole deal has a huge :doah: factor about it. :rotfl:

9. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i see, that suxs. i have had similiar miss-haps.

10. westtexask5

westtexask5 Registered Member

just find someone with a drw d60 and trade them hub assemblies. Blazd88 is willing to trade im sure

11. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Not much to add to this thread except that the H1 rim weight is WAY overexaggerated. Especially on a tow rig, I would not worry about it.

12. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I've always wondered about this whole wheel weight thing.

I know aluminum is lighter, steel is heavy, but not as heavy as a bead lock, and that the hummer wheels are like 37 lbs with run flats. Granted alcoas would only weigh 20 lbs....

Anyways, Then I looked at the rickson 19.5" tires/wheels. They ALSO weigh 35 lbs for the Forged, 45 for the cast, and a whopping 63 lbs for the steel.

13. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

add in the weight of 3/8" steel plate centers and you are looking at a hefty wheel. I also run PVC beadlocks so add another 10lbs to each wheel for those.