Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stinkin steering arm removal! POS! help!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Pookster, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

So i finally got around to putting on the lift at my buddy's shop. Get to the steering arm, and guess what? Stuck. Big time.

i tried wacking it, crow bar-ing it, hammering it, sledge hammering it, puting the weight of the truck on it using a jack stand and lowering the truck onto it, supporing it only by the steering arm. That didnt work. Tried torching it. nada. we're now soaking it overnight in PB blaster.

Any other helpful hints?

2. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

I did all of those things you tried. I had to drive the truck home from the shop that day too, so I ended up cutting it with the torch. Took about two hours. I cut the arm around the cups that are under the nut and was able to break it off the studs by lowering the truck onto a pole jack while the arm was still red hot. I ended up melting my upper ball joint from all the heat, so make sure you have a spare one handy. Also make sure you have extra torch tanks handy. I went through one oxy bottle and one and a half acetelyne bottles. They were the big bottles too. Takes alot of heat to cut cast iron. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

maybe Im forgetting something? i mean, i removed the end link, and removed the three bolts on top of the arm. Am I forgetting to remove something else?

4. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

I beat on one for three days once. The next time I took a butane heater to it. Heat it up & hit down on it not up. Hitting up only makes the cone washers get tighter.

5. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Took me bout an hour. I heated mine up with a POS propane torch, and beat the end of it, and alternating from the front to the back. Eventually it came out. The bigger the Ford tool the better.

6. outsider223

outsider223 1/2 ton status

I took my trusty Milwaukee sawsall and cut the arm through the tapers. It took some time and about 6 cuts, but that relieved the compression on the tapers and it came right off. Just make sure you don't get too close to those studs, I nicked one and had a hard time finding a die to fix the thread.

7. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

maybe we're talking about something different, but i ain't never had a problem. if all the bolts are out i don't see how it could possibly be a problem?

8. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've taken four arms off merely by hitting in the area shown in the picture below. The longest I think I've beat on one is 10-15 minutes before the cone washers start spinning around the studs - also try WD-40 - but I haven't ever had to use heat - just lucky I guess...

http://community.webshots.com/photo/65167546/66459393nkHIIP

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Hit side to side and down on the arm. I haven't needed to use heat on any of the ones I have done either and neither one took more than 5 minutes with the "Ford Tool". As soon as the cone washers loosen you can pick them out with an awl and then plkiers...

Rene

10. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

I have also removed a few and havent had to use heat. Just try a bigger hammer /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

Try to focus on getting the cones broke loose. Put a punch or chisle in the gap of the cones and tap them as if you a un-threading them. I've never used heat either, just lots of penetrating oil.

12. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

Mine were also hard to get off. My instructions said lightly tap with a big hammer. Ha!!! 3 Sammy Sosa swings and mine was off.

13. BowtieGuy3

BowtieGuy3 Guest

[ QUOTE ]
    lightly tap with a big hammer.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Gotta love it....Isn't it funny how much easier life becomes when you grab the BFH? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

It took me and a friend of mine two hours and a ten pounder bfh. Both of us are over 200 and deffinatly strong. Two hours to get those locking wedges up enough to grab em with a good pair of vice grips. It was with out question the hardest part of the lift install.

15. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It was with out question the hardest part of the lift install.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I agree! /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif